Newbie gardener needs help identifying veg

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by scooby32, Jul 28, 2011.

1. scooby32

scooby32 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, my mother in law gave us a "rogue" bag of seeds. Everything else has grown wonderfully and this beast in the pics has grown extra well, but have no idea what it is. It has yellow flowers, but rain has beaten them down today. Any help appreciated. Seems like very very fine pea pod - not sure if can eat it, but has tiny seeds, more than peas inside. Am trying to figure out whether we need to dig it out. thx

Attached Files:

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  3. scooby32

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Liz, thanks. I think you could be right. I checked Google and it does look like that - but I think the seeds were green inside. Had never heard of brassica - another first. I think it's definitely part of that family. Unfortunately I hadn't been paying attention to it early on, as my other half was the gardener. I have only just discovered quite like planting (and eating!) veg, thx again

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Brassicas include cabbages, brussels sprouts, broccoli and such like. most have similar yellow flowers and these long seed pods.

• Like Like x 1
    • scooby32

Ratings:
      +0
      that makes perfect sense. We had the most wonderful broccoli (now mostly eaten!) next to it"! thanks again, it has been doing my head in.