Newbie here

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Grumpy Dinosaur, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Grumpy Dinosaur

Grumpy Dinosaur Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello. As an introduction to myself, I'm an allotment holder in St Helens, Merseyside of 8 years now but of course wanting and needing lots of advice. 67 years old with children(and Grand children) living in Belper (100 miles away) and Durham (140 miles away) so missing them badly during these terrible times.

I found this community when wanting more information about polytunnels which I'm looking to buy. I've not been able to decide between a "cheap" solution or a more professional design; how long will they they last, how much longer will I hold the plot, how difficult to erect, is the potentially 5 times the cost of a more expensive tunnel worth it?

I actually took the plunge yesterday with a "Blowaway" 4m * 3m tunnel that has metal hanging doors rather than a zip fold up. Hopefully, if I add strengthening to it, it may last for 5 years or so.

It's been raining here for days, but the rain stopped yesterday for a spell so I went along to the site to see what damage there was. My plot was just very wet but no standing water but on so many other plots there was more water than land showing.

• Like Like x 2
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,328
      Hello GD, welcome to the forum :sign0016:. Sounds as though you'll have lots of fun once the weather dries up a bit.
      Will you be able to bury the edges of the polytunnel cover in the soil? That's the best way of ensuring that it doesn't blowaway :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,861
        Welcome to GC I think you have come to the right place...Garden based with added extras:)

• Like Like x 1
        • Grumpy Dinosaur

Ratings:
          +3
          Hi noisette47.

I was going to run battens along the outer base and screw through them and the plastic into the wooden base which I was going to stand the PT on. I read that the "cheaper" PTs don't have a particularly large skirt which is why they can be so easily blown away because they can't be buried deep enough???

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +15,328
          Ah right...sounds like a good solution, as long as the base doesn't go AWOL too :)

• Grumpy Dinosaur

Ratings:
          +3
          I plan to put 6 stakes in the ground which I'll attach it to. :fingers crossed: that will be enough.

• Like Like x 1
          • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            Welcome to the forum @Grumpy Dinosaur

You'll find this a friendly place that has a lot of good advice for you.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,838
            @Grumpy Dinosaur

Hi, Grumpy Dinosaur, and welcome to Gardeners Corner. If you want to "catch the eye" of fellow Allotment Owners you might find success by creating a new thread in the "Allotments Discussion" Forum. We have quite a few Allotment Owners and they're more than willing to swap experiences and give good advice

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +53,886
            Welcome to Gardeners Corner Grumpy Dinosaur. :)