Newbie intro

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AirAssisted, May 16, 2010.

1. AirAssisted

AirAssisted Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,my name is Ian, and I have just become the proud owner of my first greenhouse! Woop!!

Last year I grew tomatoes for the first time, I grew them in a small growhouse and had great results, so typically spurred on by this sucess I went a step further. Having secured my secondhand greenhouse from ebay, I built it yesterday, stopping only when the light faded. So, I need some replacement panels of glass as some were broken and then it is full steam ahead.

Plans for this year (perhaps a little late in the season) pumpkins, melon and peppers.

I have no idea what the general layout inside a greenhouse is, but this is what I have planned;

A raised 'veg' bed 7'x2' along one side - into which I will plant tomatoes, peppers and other 'tall' crops. Then a smaller raised 3'x2' 'veg' bed, for things like, pumpkins and melon - lastly an area to work 4'x 2'.

I'd welcome any comments and ALL advice :)
    Thanks
    Ian

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Welcome to GC Ian and congratulations on getting your greenhouse up!
    Height, width and length dimensions of the GH are hard to make out from your description of the beds, but one thing I would suggest is that you don't waste space growing pumpkins in it -they take a lot of space and will grow perfectly well outside.
    You need to get your skates on if sowing and growing toms and peppers unless you are going to buy young plants.
    Why go for raised beds? They reduce headroom and will dry out faster than ground level beds, though are perhaps easier to manage from the back strain aspect.

3. VEG.

VEG. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am growing all my toms and cucs in buckets this year.

4. aom-sg

aom-sg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, newbie here too. iam not actually knowledgeable on gardening. i hope we can learn more here. also iam trying to become a green thumb just like my parents. :)

5. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
  6. AirAssisted

AirAssisted Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the advice on the pumkin, my Daughter (4yr old) wants me to grow one for her - so it has to succeed!!

When I say raised bed, I mean like a veg bed ..... they stand 10 inches off the floor level, kind of like HUGE growbags I suppose. I have a theory, and want to try it out :)

My greenhouse is 6x8 and I am still trying to lay things out as I liek them.

It might be a little late, but today I planted;
    cucumber, melon, peppers, tomatoes and more tomatoes!!! :D