Newbie needing a new start..

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Nellybobs, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Nellybobs

Nellybobs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    Hi folks, im a newbie on here and new to gardening. We moved into our home about 18 months ago and it has been hard work renovating it, now it's time for the garden.
    We have a reasonably large garden that is mainly grass but very uneven and bumpy, also there are lots of weeds and moss growing in patches. My aim is to level a section to turf and then to have a lower section at the rear for a greenhouse and raised beds.
    The problem I have is that I need to get rid of all the grass and weeds and strip the garden back to bare soil so I can build what I want!
    What would be the best way of stripping back the grass and getting the surface workable enough to move about to level and turf? I was thinking of spraying 'Roundup' over the whole garden then using a tiller/rotivator to loosen the earth??
    What would you guys recommend?

Many thanks in advance guys...

Paul...

• Like Like x 4
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,125
      Firstly welcome aboard.
      Im sure there will be plenty offers o f helpful advice here soon. Easiest solution may be to hire a turf cutter and strip the bit of lawn you dont want.Take the sods of turf flip them over and line the bottom of theraised beds with them.They will rot downfast and you dont have to take themto the dump.
      The remainder of lawn id just leave till spring and giveit a feed and weed with some moss killer then scarify it.
      As for any bumps in the lawn just fill hollows with compost and grass seed any lumps lift the grass take out some soil stick grass back on top and water.

• Nellybobs

Nellybobs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +16
      That may work but the big problem Iv got is that the garden slopes away from the house and to lay turf I'm going to need to move a load of Earth from the rear of the garden and use it to level the middle where I want to turf... Also earth will be moved from the front to the middle to even it out..
      The rear of the garden will be lowered and a greenhouse built in the far corner and raised beds along the back fence.
      As you see from the pic just flipping the turf may not be enough to do what I want
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Feb 14, 2016