Newbie :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by type2tattoo, Oct 15, 2005.

1. type2tattoo

type2tattoo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone [​IMG] I've been reading this forum for some time now and thought I would sign up and say hello :D

Also I have a querie, I wonder if anyone can identify this acer for me? its a beautiful plant but getting very old and I would like to replace it..... but what is it??

[​IMG]

Thankyou [​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,980
    Well In dont know the name of that paticular acer, but I'm a bit concerned as to why you want to replace it, these plants should go on for years.
    How old is it, and is it damaged or something?

3. type2tattoo

Ratings:
    +0
    The whole garden has suffered badly from honey fungus I have slowly been replanting over the last 3 years and really didnt want to loose this one but its about 30 years old and is dying back quite quickly now :(

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,980
    If its honey fungus dont you think the replacement will also suffer?

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi, This looks a beautiful plant. I have a similar one but smaller with the same leaf shape, it is ' palmatum shirasawanum aureum'. Is it possible to lift it and put it in a container, or is it too big? According to google japanese maples are easy to take cuttings from which might be worth doing. I wouldn't have thought age was responsible for it dying back.
    It would be a shame to replant until you've tried to contain the honey fungus. Perhaps you could try containers?

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi, This looks a beautiful plant. I have a similar one but smaller with the same leaf shape, it is ' palmatum shirasawanum aureum'. Is it possible to lift it and put it in a container, or is it too big? According to google japanese maples are easy to take cuttings from which might be worth doing. I wouldn't have thought age was responsible for it dying back.
    It would be a shame to replant until you've tried to contain the honey fungus. Perhaps you could try containers?

7. type2tattoo

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks people [​IMG] This is the last 2ft of the garden that may be infected, the rest of the infected area has been treated and has a butyl barrier to try and contain it. This tree has to came out sometime soon and will be potted and cuttings taken then put into my 'isolation unit' (an area surrounded by leylandii that wont grow anything in the soil)

I will then treat the area and leave it for a year... in the meantime I would like to put a potted replacement there untill the ground is safe again [​IMG]

thanks for the ID....I'm off shopping ;)

Lyndsey