Newby to gardening - I have a lot to learn

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Carol Wint, May 27, 2020.

1. Carol Wint

Carol Wint Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Just joined so thought I would introduce myself. I'm Carol from Woodford, Essex. Quite new to gardening pottered around for some year but really don't know what I'm doing.:).

I would like some advice on my olive tree, recently I noticed it shedding some leaves, I am now panicking that the tree is going to die (I love tree). There were around 15 yellow leaves that I picked off this morning. See attached pics, do you think the tree still looks healthy.

Also, how do I make the tree branches Bushey instead of spindly?

I'm grateful for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,381
  3. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    Hello Carol.
    A big welcome to the forum.

As Cpl. Jones, of Dads Army would say. Don't panic.

Firstly may I suggest you stake the tree. This will prevent it from moving about in the tub. Also, the photo shows it to be leaning away from the fence. This is understandable, as sunlight is restricted between the fence and the tree. If possible turn the tub around a bit from time to time. This will allow the foliage to absorb the sunlight and this will encourage the act of photo synthesis to take place.

This process is where the ulta violet rays of the sun act upon the leaves and assist the chlorophyl and to produce the required sugars that go to sustaining part of the plant's life-force.

It is quite natural for trees & shrubs to lose some leaves outside of the autumanal shedding. Fallen leaves can actually be a good thing at times. Fungal & bacterial infections usually attack a tree/shrub, via the leaves. Infected leaves of course tend to spoil the look of the plant, so we might well pick them off. Always burn such leaves. Thankfully, although we may feel different at this point. The affected/damaged leaves, are what we can call the PPE. Infections hit them, they take the brunt of it and fall off. Were they to remain. That tiny leaf-stalk would be the pathway to more serious infection. So I hope this helps. Enjoy your gardenening.

• Informative Informative x 1