Newly planted Acer wilting

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lpeek, Apr 29, 2023.

1. Lpeek

Lpeek Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all! I’ve recently planted a new Acer (Bloodgood variety), and while it seems to have started off ok, with lots of new growth, most of that new growth seems to be drooping/wilting somewhat.

photos included, this was planted around 3 weeks ago.

I’m not sure if this is normal, overwater due to poorly draining clay soil, or underwater, or maybe due to the weather turning so cold again just as it was getting going. Any advice appreciated.

the soil wasn’t the best, very compacted clay soil, which I broke up as much as I could, and added a lot of new compost (50/50 mix of standard and eracious) but I’d admit it’s still not the best draining. Though I haven’t watered as much as I normally would something new to compensate, so maybe that’s the actual problem, rather than overwatering.

I’m hoping it’s just the weather though, it’s now starting to warm up again so I’m hoping it’ll perk up a bit.

Thanks!

5C1D4A66-F0D4-4929-AD81-13818BCF0C39.jpeg 443F64B1-90A9-4693-9589-7D646DC198A2.jpeg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    I'd give it a good watering right at the base of the stem, just in case the soil ball has dried out.
    If that has no effect after a couple of days I'm just wondering if it's just been forced into growth and been growing under cover and it's taking it some time to acclimatise to proper outdoor conditions at this time of the year.

3. Lpeek

Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks @pete! I am
    Hoping the same, that I’ve just been too cautiously under watering it.

I should mention pretty much all of the growth here has come in the last 3 weeks, most of it early in that time before it got really cold again.

This is a bad picture but this is what it looked like when it went into the ground.

53DAAA45-B2A1-4F50-B105-B51D287B741E.jpeg

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    Ok so looks like it wasn't forced early.
    The root ball of newly planted stuff can dry right out and become difficult to re wet especially if it's in peat based compost.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lpeek

Ratings:
      +10
      Ok thanks for the help! It’s had a really good watering now so hopefully it’ll perk up, especially with the hot weather this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
      • Lpeek

Ratings:
        +10
        @pete looks like it’s starting to perk up a little bit, not completely but it definitely looks a little better so hopefully lack of watering was the issue!

18ED4173-5539-4AEB-BAFA-E9A6E348D190.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +91,679
          That's good if its working, maybe good to give it a soak once a week for a while even if it rains, as long as you dont see standing water it should be ok.