newly turfed lawnf

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by pollyanne, Aug 1, 2006.

1. pollyanne

pollyanne Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we have layed turf two weeks ago and have toad stools apearing all over it .does any one know how we can get rid of them,without harming the grass :rolleyes:

2. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi,polly,are there fairy rings round them? Iam waiting for them on my new lawn. IT WAS PUT DOWN 1ST.WEEK IN MAY. ;) :D :D

3. pollyanne

Ratings:
    +0
    no theres no fairy rings round them that im awaire off.however the grass is quite long now so I cannot really see

4. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    COME ON GUYS pollyanne AND I would like to know how to get rid of toad stools on the lawn. :eek: :eek:

5. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If you give the lawn a couple of days between waterings so that the surface can dry they will probably disappear, and you can mow the caps off and compost them.

Unless you are sure they are problematic using a fungicide will porbably do more harm than good. Often they are feeding off the thatch layer that comes with the turf, and are encouraged by the humidity when it is rolled up, so they are doing no real harm

6. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Alright Jazid, what you been upto ?

Good advice from jazid, when I laid my lawn in April I found that until the roots bonded properly with the top soil beneath, over watering would run between. I dare say unless you are spot on level, water pooling, humidity and whats in the turf already are to blame. Lay off the watering a bit and I have found the mushees dry up. Once established you can deal with any returning fungi more agressively if needs be.

7. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    JAZID and BM YOU GUYS ARE GREAT AND TO THE POINT. I spotted some on my lawn today.at least its not A PROBLEM THANKS fancy [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have little brown capped fungi aappearing in my lawn especialy when wet - had them for years. They seem to do no harm, I just keep them mown.

9. pollyanne

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone for ur advice.its good to know that its there if needed

10. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    To BM: I've been in and out mate, holidays and other excitements. Will give update when my clients stop chasing me around so much ;)

11. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Cool jazid, good to see you back mate. :D