Newts

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by sandy, Dec 5, 2005.

1. sandy

sandy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My friend has recently moved to a house in the country with a large pond nearby. The problem she is having is finding them in her house and she doesnt know what to do with them. Of course ive told her to put them in the pond again but she says they just keep coming back in. She keeps fish in the house and has smaller tanks set up so could she keep them over winter and then release them again in the late spring as shes scared they will die if she takes them back out again? Any thoughts anyone? [​IMG]

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    http://www.marinebiology.co.uk/newts.htm

May help if you understand their life-style. They will be looking for places to hibernate over winter so I would be inclined to move the household 'guests' to winter quarters under piles of leaves etc. in protected corners of the garden.

It should also be noted that all native frogs newts and toads are protected, especially the Great Crested Newt which is an endangered species.

3. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Tortuosa

Tortuosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You cant blame them ;)

I've been creeping back into the house recently when Mrs Tortuosa keeps sending me out to work, perhaps I should find a quiet pile of leaves.

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Forget the pile of leaves Tortuosa, what you need is a shed/workshop accessed from the back. Go out the front, cheerily waving goodbye, and then come in the back to your snug little haven :D

I know the feeling well,or did until I took early retirement at the end of October. The joy of not scraping the ice off the car, and slithering to work, driving home tired and cold in the dark and forecast snow does not strike dread - I can enjoy it - yeeeessss. Downside living costs :D

[ 05. December 2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]

6. sandy

sandy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the links [​IMG]

7. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    My friend in Spain has a resident lizzardy kind of thing (forgot the name!!) and they treat it like a house pet. It's often found all over the place in different rooms and usually clinging to the middle of a wall somewhere.

Don't think I'd mind a newt taking up residence any more than a spider so long as it didn't get in the pantry or somesuch - ir fall foul of the kitties!

8. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have plenty of newts and frogs in the garden. Frogs frequently scare the living daylights out of my wife in the house, but we've never seen a newt indoors.

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    My friend's house guest is a gecko. This photo is very blurred as I couldn't get it to stay still long enough for the camera to focus but you can get the general idea of it.

[​IMG]

10. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    'My friend's house guest is a gecko.'

As a bonus they eat spiders too [​IMG]

11. Tortuosa

Tortuosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fran, I can't afford to retire in this lifetime. :(

Now redesigning the shed with back door, comfy chair, barbecue, cocktail cabinet, computer... :cool:

12. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    [​IMG]Sounds good to me, Tortuosa!

13. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Way to go Tortuosa :D