Next Season Thinking Already

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by firsttimer, Dec 7, 2011.

1. firsttimer

firsttimer Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys,

Got itchy fingers again so i have decided to come up with next year veg already. Just need some advice on varieties to grow. So here goes

Rhubarb - not sure which variety to go for
    Beetroot - Boltardy
    Onion - Forum F1 or something different
    Runner Beans - Wisley Magic
    Radish - French Breakfast
    French Beans - ? 1st time growing advice needed
    Parsnips - Tender and True
    Swede - ? Advice please
    Tom - San Marzano and Money Maker
    Need some advice on salad items any ideas folks

Cucumber - Markemore 76 in grow bags Any advice
    Giving up on Leeks and Carrots this year as they seem to fail the Leeks rot and the carrots produce really big foliage with no carrot. Was going to try sweetcorn but with a small back garden plot not so sure

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    All my planning is done, I need to buy one packet of seeds and order my seed tatties and that's it.

Rhubabrb I have no idea about as I have been given all of my Rhubarb plants. Onions, try Red Baron, a red onion very reliable for me. French beans, try Kentucky Wonder Wax, a golden bean with great taste. Swede, I grew Magres this year and it has a nice string flavour wihout being overpowering,French beans grow the same way as you do your runners. Toms, not sure why you bother with MM, flavourless to most people. If your growing Toms outdoors you could do well with Sungold, a sweet cherry yellow tom or if growing indoors try Sungella, another yellow variety http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/449600-post37.html I expect you'll get plenty of recommendations about toms.

Good luck!!

Steve...:)

3. tothemanorborn

tothemanorborn Apprentice Gardener

MD
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am a novice on veg/food growing, I have'nt had time to consentrate on getting the space ready but I am trying to figure out the best place for it.
    I would like to put a large area for it, but the soil changes and its no where as good as the other part of the garden where you can stick a hand trowl in it.
    The space i had in mind the soil composition is not as good, so i would like to try where its much better.
    Having said that the people who bought our old place they stuck their veg garden on gastley soil, so it must have done something.
    Any advice on first time hints on what type of veg is easy to start with??

4. Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,978
    Intersted to hear what the experts have to say on this topic as I'm also planning my first proper go at growing some veg. Only tried a few things before so hoping to branch out and grow more variety and different stuff.

5. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Bit late off the mark Firsttimer!

I've already recieved next seasons seed order and my seed potato order was placed weeks ago! :lol

No doubt there will be a few things I've overlooked! :(

6. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Hi Firsttimer,.

I grow just a few veg in a small area of about 12ft x 18ft here are some which I have had success.

Instead of onions I grow Shallots, the standard round variety.
    Dwarf French beans: Saxa (green pods) or Purple Queen.
    Climbing French beans: Blue Lake (green pods, an old and reliable variety) Blauhilde (purple pods) .
    Swiss Chard. (the white stem variety) and perpetual spinach.
    Tomatoes outdoor: Marmande (beef type) or Gardeners Delight - I grew San Marzano last season, but rather poor results - a bit too far north I guess.
    I grow 'salad bowl' lettuce in boxes or last seasond grow-bags.
    Globe Artichokes either in the veg area or at the back of the flower border.
    I have a rhubarb plant, no idea of the variety, but it has been cropping well for more than twenty years.
    Of course, you should try to find room for a selection of herbs. I have Rosemary, Fennel, Sage, Tarragon, and Thyme. - Just can't grow Parsley though!

No doubt you will get many more suggestions, - best of luck.

a-a