No crab apples this year

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Sandpiper, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Sandpiper

Sandpiper Apprentice Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every year I enjoy making crab apple jelly. This year, despite normal blossom in the Spring, there isn't a single crab apple. The leaves look tired and diseased and many have fallen during the rains. All the neighbouring crab apple trees are the same.
    Does anyone know what has happened and/or what I can do to make the tree happy again!?

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,865
    Rain rain and more rain. I have no pears, no plums and only a few apples :(

All a bit tragic!

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Same here, but also no quinces.

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Edward Woodward, The Wicker Man, 1970.

• OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,615
        The two crab apples I planted last year had bad infestations of greenfly & ants earlier in the year which made them look very sorry for themselves - but its surprising how much more growth the trees have put on since I sorted that out (weak washing up liquid & squishing + grease bands) - now I just give them a weekly whoosh with the hose to discourage the return of the beasties. Might get three apples total though.

• Like Like x 1
        • Sandpiper

Sandpiper Apprentice Gardener

Teacher
          Ratings:
          +0
          Thanks for the replies. I feel a bit better now, but sad that the rain has spoilt so much. Last year we were so desperate for rain!

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +23,865
          And look what happened to him!

• music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
          Ratings:
          +2,785
          I have two Bramley apple trees, and to my surprise,this year looks like a very good harvest.The trees are full of apples.
          Last year both trees yielded very little apples.On enquiring on G.C., I was informed that sometimes apple trees have a wee rest and come back stronger next year.
          Glad to say the information given was correct:blue thumb:.

• alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
          Ratings:
          +2,620
          Sandpiper, I'm having the same problems with my crabapple tree which until this year has been spectacular. The tree is about 30 years old and has always been my favourite tree - now it looks very sorry for itself and I'm wondering if it has come to the end of it's life. Last year one large branch was blown in a gale which has given the tree a rather quirky look.
          Also my young fruit years have no signs of any fruit this year. I'm guessing it is the weather or lack of bees to pollinate.
          Every the optimist I look forward to next year.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Not one single apple on my Bramley tree. I've only got apples on my Beauty of Bath and not that many for what should have been it's alternate bumper year. The neighbours Worcester Pearmain has a reasonable crop of apples. Both of those are early varieties so I guess they were pollinated before the bad weather came, although they are both late cropping this year.

But the odd thing is that when I try and check whether they're ripe by cutting open 'windfalls' (only there's no wind and they're falling off on their own accord) to see if the seeds are brown, I find only one half bown/half white seed in each apple and they're starting to fall in great numbers. I checked the juice sugar content with a refractometer and they're about 2 - 3 Brix short of what they normally are when ripe.

So apples with very little (some don't appear to have any) seeds in are falling down in large numbers even though they're not ripe , there's no wind and it's not the 'June Drop'. They're also about 25% smaller than usual. Weird.