No preperation done last year - can I still grow stuff?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by alexwren, Feb 11, 2006.

1. alexwren

alexwren Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Forum,

I have three vegetable plots that I have inherited with my house. Apart from weeding and turning them at the end of the summer there has been no other preperation applied (i.e. composting).

I really want to use these patches to grow some veg (carrots, potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, brocoli, beans). Having just bought a book I am now concerned that things might not go to plan as I have not done the pre winter preperation!

Is there anyway to catch up or is it too late?

Any thoughts would :confused: be greatfully recieved.

Alex

PS I am a total newbie so go easy on the lingo...

2. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    no problem you won t plant up till march.
    On one patch .... plant pototoes .. you can add rotted farmyard manure [any garden centre], fork in one bag per 5 sq m or as advised on bag
    on second patch use some garden compost if available , if not try bonemeal and some general fertiliser [growmore], use this area for beans and peas
    on third patch try growing lettuce, radish and spring onions in sucession
    the idea is to rotate crops every 3 years, so beans follow potatoes and lettuce follow beans

[ 11. February 2006, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: The Lady Gardener ]

3. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you have plenty of time to prepare the soil, if it was dug over last year you only need to fork it over and remove any weeds, look for worm activity . this is a good sign,
    Keep off soil if it is wet, try to fork over from one end to the other so that you are not compacting soil as u go,
    brocoli and leek are winter veggies, you sow the seeds in march in a "drill". a groove about 1"deep, sow thinly and cover with soil, transplant to winter quarters when they are 4" high
    you can transplant lettuce [6"apart] but not carrots as they have a tap root, so like beetroot and turnip ,they must be sown thinly in drills and then carefully thinned out, eat the thinnings of course

[ 12. February 2006, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: The Lady Gardener ]