non-pond pond plants

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by jay, Aug 21, 2006.

1. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What 'non-pond' plants will survive happily in the shallow bits of my pond?

2. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Not wuite sure what you mean, but some Iris varieties spring immediately to mind.

3. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI jay, marsh marigolds single and double petals, RICH STATES IRIS,ACORUS CALAMUS( VARIEG. grasses)rushes,bog arum,brass or golden buttons,horse tail,chamaeleon,water lobelia,ragged robin,creeping jenny, bog bean. and the list is endless.you can buy all these cheaply from

www.bromfieldaquatics.co.uk

4. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again Fancy! (and Rich) [​IMG]

Rich what I meant was the sort of plants you buy for beds, but would also grow happily in shallow water.

5. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jay,
    Quite a lot of plants will adapt to what is more or less a hydroponic type of lifestyle.
    As long as only the roots are immersed they should be ok.Making sure the water has a good supply of oxygen is a good plan..moving water is best. Plants suffocate..they don`t drown ;)

One way is to use pea gravel beds that provides support and also allows the plant to produce air roots above the waterline.

If you stock the pond with fish and route the waterflow through your plant gravel beds.. you won`t need any biofilter system either.

The gravel provides the medium for the bacteria which in turn remove the ammonia from the water ..converting it to nitrite and nitrates.
    The plants make use of the nitrates and the fish get the clean water in return.

6. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Hex, well Im not having fish in the pond, and I have a few water plants and a fair few oxygenating ones in already, but I have to confess I used ordinary compost as I read on a pondy website to "use a good soil" and took it to mean 'any good soil'! So maybe the water will go green and thick and I'll have to learn the hard way! :D

7. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi JAY, how is your pond going? you have the bank hol. to catch up. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Fancy, Im still travelling about collecting rocks to do the outside of the pond & plant it up, as I can't afford to buy them! It'll take time but I'll get there!
    Ah, in the bank hol I will probably be catching up on SLEEP not gardening, hehehe!!!

9. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    this bank hol. I am going to spend a lot of time putting hardy tropicals in the garden and looking for BM trees to be put in the autum. I am a work-o-holick. :D :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I'm actually going out for a change, off to Bolton to thoroughly enjoy myself then stay in a posh hotel I found cheap online, lol! And I deserve it!! :D