non productive raspberries

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sonsalis, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Sonsalis

Sonsalis Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted 25 Glen Moy autumn fruiting canes in November 2007 but since then I have had very few fruits. This year the canes were covered in small green fruits quite late which are still there but have stopped growing as far as I can see.
    I have chopped them down to soil level each February and they have grown very high throughout the summer which necessitated staking. I have fed with a bit of growmore.
    Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong ?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    Not sure, I presume Glen Moy is a late fruiting variety?

Maybe you dont actually have Glen Moy?:cnfs:

Other than that, I can only think of virus.:scratch:

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    According to the RHS (and all other references I've found) Glen Moy is summer fruiting so if you chop them right down in autumn you'll have cut out the canes that would have borne fruit in the next year. The RHS info also says you may expect a SMALL amount of fruit in autumn.
    See >
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Fruit-A-to-Z/Raspberries

4. Icedragon

Icedragon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You only have to cut out the old fruiting canes from the previous year, thus allowing the new canes that were created the previous year to become the fruiting canes for the next. If you chop it all down to soil level then the canes are only producing enough growth for them to survive and the chance for fruit would be very small.

5. nevers

nevers Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Icedragon. Most raspberry species produce fruits on the second-year canes which is why you should chop down the "old" canes only. Personally, I cut down canes that look "dry" only in late spring.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Sorry, this is incorrect. "most" is the wrong term here.

There are two types - Summer and Autumn fruiting. Some people only grow / prefer one type, some grow both.

During Winter cut down all canes that have fruited - i.e. you can see the core of the fruit left behind when you pick it. The net effect will be that for Summer fruiting types you will have removed about half the canes, leaving the other half which have not fruited and they will be the ones which will carry the fruit next year. Whereas for the Autumn Fruiting types you will find that you have cut down all the canes.

This way you don't have to know which type they are.