non-selective weedkiller

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Sargan, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
    +37
    On previous landscaping projects after preparing ground .. have given the area a dusting with a non-selective weed-killer, then laid Geotex weed membrane on top.

The product I used was Boracil (aka Bromacil).... but this is no longer on sale.
    This was a broad spectrum herbicides for non-selective weed killing, it entered plants via roots not vis leaves.

Councils used it under tarmac when laying pavements.

Most weed-killers need leaf growth to allow take down to roots .... in this instance there is no left growth, being used as preventative.
    Which would rule out 2,4-D products (and presumably 2,4,5-T)

Anybody aware of a good replacement, or do I need to go back to basic Sodium Chlorate.

Loads of posts on line that Sodium Chlorate has been banned from sale since 2008 and cannot be used after 10th May 2010 ..

Yet it is on sale on Amazon ?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    We use Chikara up at the farm, excellent product..

3. Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
    +37
    won't kill Mares tail though, which is one thing I want to hit.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    I don't know why they're selling it as weed killer as it's against EU regs, :scratch: but the chemical itself is not banned as it's used in bleaching (especially paper).

5. Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
    +37
  6. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    So it is, I can't comment on the legality of this, but if you look at the questions those relating to legality and whether it contains a fire retardant are unanswered.
    Many of the older compounds "banned" by the EU were removed from the permitted list on economic grounds. Companies decided that it wasn't cost effective to do the work required to remain on the list. Hence the disappearance of Ammonium sulphamate from the shelves. This is still available via Amazon or e Bay.
    Bayer sell a product called Ground Clear as a modern alternative to sodium chlorate.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Not being sold by Amazon though, but rather "Amazon Marketplace". I don't suppose Amazon check what people are selling, unless someone complains.

Up to you if you want to use it (I expect you can buy it on eBay etc. too ...), and I haven't checked recently, but maybe the EU had sensible reasons for banning it? (I'm thinking of Creosote that was banned and subsequent research has shown that all the carcinogenic indications which were the original worry have since been found not to be a problem ... that hasn't been reinstated though ...)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Weedkiller containing Dichlobenil is used to spray the formation under pavings and is effective against marestail.

EDIT: Looks like the EU have now banned it.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      This

http://ec.europa.eu/food/plant/protection/evaluation/existactive/list_chlorate.pdf

seems to say that the reasons for the ban (after you get past all the EuroBureaucratBabble):

the information available is insufficient to satisfy the requirements set out in Annex II
      and Annex III Directive 91/414/EEC in particular with regard to

• unacceptable exposure on operators
      • the need for further data to establish a definitive AOEL
      • the need for further data to assess the leaching of a relevant metabolite to
      groundwater

So there is risk to the operator (take more care than you might have done before :) ), and there is risk of the chemical leaching (I've stopped using it for that reason, as after heavy rain lawn etc. adjacent to treated driveways was killed). No idea if leaching to groundwater is an issue, nor did the EU, as clearly noone was prepared to do the tests to prove it, one way or 'tother, because they would not have a Patent/Monopoly to recoup the costs of the test

• Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,455
        I still use Sodium Chlorate as a spot weedkiller on bindweed on the driveway.

The bindweed pushes up through a hole it has made in the tarmac. I pull it out, put some crystals in the hole and a drop of water on top of it, heat the tarmac and tamp it down. Problem solved for a few years :blue thumb:.

The very small amount that I use (maximum a quarter of a teaspoon) doesn't give enough chance for it to spread elsewhere.

As with a lot of other things, the cost of doing tests that comply with EU regs makes a lot of things uneconomical. This has also been used unscrupulously by companies to get things banned.

The one I know most about was when a very large company managed to get Stevia banned in the EU by deliberately over-doing the testing in order to get it rejected as a product (used in their tests in higher concentration than testing guidelines). It took seven years of campaigning to get it re-instated because the companies that were using Stevia couldn't afford to do the requisite stringent test (although the tests weren't really necessary under the historical use rules - it had been used for 400 years with no recordable/recorded adverse effects).

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997