North South divide

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jack McHammocklashing, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    I have recently returned from a weeks holiday in Eastbourne with day trips around the area.

Whilst there I noticed the houses for sale and estate agents windows
    My three bedroomed end terrace house with reasonable garden is up here valued at about £110k
    The identical house in Hastings was offered for sale at Offers over £1.2 million, Not just this one house but all similar houses in the area
    The amenities around are more or less the same, but in Scotland better scenery

I have an oppo (friend) who lived down there but sold up his parents house and moved here, now he has the same house as I only an additional £1.1m in the bank :-)

How I wish my Mum and Dad had lived down Sarf

I do not know how young ones now can get on, (My company when working did pay an extra 10% to Southern engineers) but this would not compare to the present situation

Just thinking out loud

Jack McH

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      My brother and his wife live in Cobham Surrey the house prices there are astronomical as well .I think they just move the decimal point every four years to price them. How their children afford mortgages is beyond me , although two of them have moved further afield.
      They visited us last year with the oldest daughter and her partner. The house opposite us is huge 7 bedrooms. They asked how much will that be worth?I said it will be just over £100k now ;) They gasped :biggrin: ( Told them the real price later )

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,455
        Beach huts with no utilities and people not allowed to sleep overnight go for around £70k - £130k on some of the south coast beaches. :yikes:

Shineyland doesn't have a north/south divide :snork: At present prices we would never have been able to move into Shineyland :sad:. Fortunately we moved here 43 years ago before prices went mad. A house isn't worth anything until you sell it!

• Like Like x 2
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +51,883
          I turn 40 next year, and have absolutely no chance of getting on the housing ladder thanks to the stupid prices. The house we rent (small two bed semi), is roughly worth £280-£300k, so to buy one similar I would need £30-£35k on the hip, and then would be taking a mortgage for over quarter of a million quid - - never going to happen.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +91,663
            That's easy they still live with Mum and dad ,trust me my nest is bursting at the seams:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +92,076
              Yes house prices down here are stupid.
              And as long as the so called "prosperous south east", is viewed as a good place to live it will continue.
              I'd move North, but its too cold down here for me most of the time, so moving North is not an option.
              Maybe South,.... but then I'd be a immigrant;)

It basically down to all that lot who look upon their house as an investment rather than somewhere to live.
              I love to watch them squirm when house prices fall.:snork:

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,543
              We have just got back this afternoon from a delightful two week stay down at Brockenhurst in the New Forest and we had a look in Estate Agents windows and the prices down in the NF is eyewateringly expensive(£1.8,000,000) for some of them and by the looks of things if you have a pony standing outside on the grass verge while the photo is being taken they had a few more 00000's on the end:snork:

What amused us though that there is so much horse,donkey,cow, deer and pig pooh on the roads,pavements and grass verges that no one bothers to gather it up for their rose beds or allotments.And the cheek of it is that these so called wild ponies have right of way on the roads and paths and if the little sods don't want to get out of the way (especially the Shetland ponies) then there is nothing you can do but wait until they get out of the way:snork:Whoever got the job of installing cattle grids at the ends of all the drives must have made a killing so to speak:biggrin:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +48,979
              • Funny Funny x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,838

I would rather have my undervalued small House, live in the beautiful patchwork fields and greenery of Cheshire, Jack, than in the "Sarf" any day!!:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1
                  Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
                • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +8,435
                  Prices in Suffolk are really stupid now too, the next generation don't stand a chance getting on the property ladder. We bought our first house (a three bed semi) for £49,250.00....it's laughable now but at the time I wondered how we would ever pay the money back! We sold that obviously at a profit twelve years ago, but they are now selling for £165.000! & rent for about £750-£800 PCM it's a joke really.
                  I was talking to an estate agent the other day who said Suffolk villages were going to be the next hot spot for Londoners looking to live in the country, all that's going to do is bump up the prices :rolleyespink: & make them less affordable for the kids who were brought up in the villages :wallbanging:

• Agree Agree x 2