Not so busy lizzies

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 18, 2012.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Here's another extract from an article in Amateur Gardening Magazine which I thought might interest those who like bedding and pots and baskets:

"B&Q, which has 357 stores, has pulled the plug on Busy Lizzies [Impatients walleriana] after impatiens mildew struck in 2011. B&Q usually sells 20 million Busy Lizzies a year. The firm warned of a chronic shortfall of Busy Lizzies at garden centres this year, but said it took the decision to allow growers to control the virus. Thompson and Morgan has also withdrawn Impatiens walleriana despite selling 9.2 million Busy Lizzies in 2011.

Last July Thompson and Morgans Managing Director warned the UK that the Busy Lizzie market could be wiped out in 5 years, unless urgent action was take. He said "last year was the first time we've had impatiens downy mildew at our trial grounds. I first saw it in July and it took just 10 days to devastate our trials. Thompson and Morgan is urging gardeners to switch to Begonias and New Guinea impatiens which, so far, have resisted downy mildew"

Sorry for the bad new Folks.:WINK1::what::rolleyespink:

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I suggest to my clients that they use Begonia sempevirens rather than Busy Lizzies nowadays. Though people should still use New Guinea Impatiens.:dbgrtmb:

3. chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,616
  4. lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
    Ratings:
    +641
    loosing all ours last year I bought a couple of packets of seed before we found out about the virus.
    I dont know weather to go with using them or not bother,or at least give them a years or so break and hope things have improved.

5. lakeside

lakeside Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +14
    I agree with Daithplant, I grew 6 New Guinea bizzy lizzies last year and they were a great success. They were flowering up to 6weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Evil Len

Evil Len Nag a ram

Ratings:
      +199
      We lost all ours to the virus.

Does anyone know where it came from ?

• andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
      +45
      It was found for the first time in the UK in 2003 and is likely to have arrived on imported commercial propagation material (seed or cuttings). Statutory action was at first undertaken by FERA against confirmed outbreaks of the disease, but this soon ceased.

After the wet summer of 2008, damage was much reduced by improved control practices at commercial nurseries. However in 2011 control failed, probably due to resistance to the commercial fungicides used. Infected plants were inadvertently sold widely. This led to the the most widespread outbreak of the disease so far, with many gardens, nurseries and local authority displays affected.

Outbreaks of downy mildew have been confined to Impatiens walleriana, the common bedding busy Lizzie. No cases have been found on New Guinea impatiens, Impatiens × hawkeri, or on the few species of Impatiens found growing in the wild in the UK including Himalayan balsam, Impatiens glandulifera.

Impatiens downy mildew / Royal Horticultural Society

• Like Like x 3
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        I always thought mildew was a fungus, but it's being referred to as a virus ?

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,248
          Very sad news , I know some on here regard BL's as a tad "comman ". But I think they were/are a great little flower, lovely colours and would grow anywhere. Collecting the exploding seeds was also great fun :dbgrtmb: A few threads on here last year reported the mildew from Strongy in Dorset losing all their BL's up to Lytham and St Annes losing all their plantings in the parks. So no BL's for me this year . Did grow New Guinea Sunpatiens and they did really well from large plugs :dbgrtmb: Do these plagues and pestilences tend to pass after a few years as resistant strains and controls are developed ? :scratch:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          I think you're right, Harry. Nature has a way of culling anything that has got out of balance numerically, man made or otherwise, and reduces the size with diseases or predators of some sort. It's usually very rare for a plant or animal to be made extinct by a "natural" cull, though we can't say that about man's efforts. I think that what happens is that a disease will strike a plant that has got out of balance and reduce it right down in number, and along the way some of the plants become resistant to it and survive. Possibly that is repeated through the years.:dunno::D

• Like Like x 1
          • daitheplant

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,881
            I believe it`s a bacterial mildew which makes it viral. BUT, I`ve been wrong before. :scratch::loll:

• Like Like x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              Never!!, Ever!!:heehee::heehee::D,..............wash your mouth out, dai:heehee::heehee::D

• daitheplant

Retired
              Ratings:
              +2,881
              Sorry.:cry3::cry3::WINK1:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +92,076
              Surely if it viral there is no cure other than destroying all know affected plants.
              I'm sure the virus, (if it is one), could be cleaned up in a lab, but that is usually done on cultivars not seed grown plants, which I'm thinking most busy lizzies are.

But then I've been wrong before.:scratch::WINK1:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              Tell him, dai, tell him!!:heehee::heehee::D