Not too thirsty?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by OneOfManyLondoners, Aug 21, 2024.

1. OneOfManyLondoners

OneOfManyLondoners Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello

I'd purchased some potted-plant flowers from Lidl a few months ago, and they were initially thriving. They bloomed beautifully and were growing quite well too.

Lately, they appear to be drying up pretty badly despite being adequately watered.

I've previously read that at times the water is inaccessible by the roots and this causes the plant to go dry even when being watered, but according to the images I've taken the water is actually resting in a puddle on the service as well as drifting below... So I'm not quite sure what is going on here, could anyone advise?

Kind regards.

upload_2024-8-21_11-58-7.png

P.S. the photo was taken a couple of weeks ago, its actually become much worse..

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,642
    Has the pot got drainage holes, it looks like a swamp.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,486
      What is the plant? Do you have drainage holes in the pot? If so, the roots may have blocked the holes and you need to pull them out from beneath. This happened with a Salvia farinacea plant with us.

• OneOfManyLondoners

OneOfManyLondoners Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Ah, drainage holes, that is what is needed.

The ceramic pot does not have drainage holes, the plastic pot sitting inside it does.

I suppose its a matter of either emptying out the ceramic pot every now and again, or just purchasing a new pot that has drainage holes present.

My question now becomes - why would the seemingly excess water make the plant become dry?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,642
      The plant isn't dry it drowned.
      The roots stop working and die if they are water logged.
      Never use a pot without drainage.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,808
        I agree - that's totally drowned. Even bog plants need drainage :smile:
        I'm not sure why you think it's dry though @OneOfManyLondoners ? Is it because some foliage is brown, and the rest is wilted? That isn't just a sign of dryness. It's also a sign of the opposite situation, which is the case with your plant.
        The only solution is to cut it back, remove it from the pot that has no holes, and put it somewhere sheltered to allow it to dry out. If it recovers, pot it into a slightly bigger pot that has plenty of holes.
        It also helps to lift the pot off the ground with pot feet [or anything similar] if it's going to be sitting on hard landscaping, to allow excess moisture to get away.
        If you don't know what kind of plant it is, you'll then just have to wait and see if it revives.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • waterbut

waterbut Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +166
          You have drowned your babies do not pass go straight to jail with you.

• Funny Funny x 5
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • infradig

infradig Total Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
            Ratings:
            +1,172
            If circumstances dictate , then you could in future add some pebbles {or glass marbles) to the ceramic pot before placing the plastic pot upon them. This would create a drainage space but requires careful monitoring of water level. Caution : some ceramic pots may be porous sufficiently to cause damage to polished wood and decor.