Novice gardener - kind of starting from scratch and haven't a clue what I'm doing

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by hippo_lady, Mar 24, 2010.

1. hippo_lady

hippo_lady Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mel and I live in Basildon, Essex with my partner and our 2 year old son.

I'll give you some background on our garden - hope it's not too long winded...
    I inherited the house we live in from my grandfather, and have grown up watching this garden make many changes over the last 30-odd years. My grandparents moved in to the house in 1955 when it was newly built - They began with a back yard of bare earth and builders rubble and gradually transformed it into a little haven of ornamental beds, my grandad's half-ass*d attempts at topiary with cumbersome box hedges (sorry grandad!) which we are still trying to remove, vegetable patch etc - all very typical English terraced house type stuff - and lovely it was too. Unfortunately as my grandfather got older the garden became more difficult for him to manage and so we are left with precious little in the way of plants - in fact all we really have apart from a lovely silver birch tree are a few shrubs, a couple of ancient roses which I fully intend to keep and a bit of lawn that is more moss than grass.

We will be making a lot of changes in the long term and will probably need to re-landscape the whole thing eventually, but in the mean time we are trying to make it a more pleasant place to be...Which mainly involves me growing flowers in pots on the patio and my other half mowing the lawn whenever the mood takes him (he still hasn't done the first cut of the year yet).

No doubt I will be bombarding the forum with loads of (possibly quite inane) questions, I hope you will all be sympathetic to my lack of knowledge.

Thanks for reading

Mel
    :)

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,665
  3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Hello & welcome Mel.

Don't worry about your lawn, it does't need to be immaculate when you have kids. I just mentioned on another thread that I quite like mossy lawns, they are great for kids - much more bouncy and weeds like daisys they will love to pick and play with. Mine is full of moss and it helps keep the grass down! Why spend your life mowing grass when there are more important things to do?

4. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
  5. freddie

freddie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hi mel, a warm welcome to you , just take your time , no good rushing into it and take some photos along the way, best wishes freddie.

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Mel and welcome to the site.:gnthb:

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477