Oak Tree in middle of Garden

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Tilly, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Tilly

Tilly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All

Im new to the forum so I hope Im posting this in the right place. I have moved into a new house and there is what I think is an oak tree in the middle of my relatively small garden. ( only reason way I say I think its an oak tree is because the leaves look a bit bigger than normal for an oak) The birds love it, there's lots of wildlife around it BUT ive been told by a couple of visitors to the house that the roots might kill my grass, might damage my house foundations etc and that it should be taken out - I dont really want to remove it but if it's going to cause problems in the long run then I guess I need to before it gets too big.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Welcome to GC Forums, Tilly :sign0016:

The "safe" distance from the house for an oak, according to this site, is 30mtrs.

Having stated that, I have an oak tree, on the kerb side outside my home only 7 mtrs away and another on the opposite side of the road: so, both less than 30mtrs :heehee: The local authority come around every couple of years or so and give them a trim.

The real question to ask yourself is this: one what basis have your visitors drawn that conclusion? Is it merely their "opinion"; do they have some experience? Perhaps they are drawing on professional knowledge? :noidea: Once you know where their advice stems from, you can then make a decision whether you to take their advice.

There are some very experienced forum members, who I hope will be along soon to pass on their wisdom.

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,071
      Photo of the leaf might be useful. I have at least 3 tree with leaves like Oak leaves and none of them are Oak trees.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      How big is it? If it is an Oak they grow slowly, so you might decide that its not going to be a problem for as long as you are in the property.

If you are planning to stay for more than 20 years then I guess you need to consider the longer term, regardless of whether its Oak or not.

Could easily have been self-sown if it is Oak (well ... squirrel-planted more likely!)