Oh Damn - Plants wilted HELP!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by aqua, May 15, 2005.

1. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a way to introduce myself to a new forum [​IMG]

*waves and offers hobnobs*

I've been away for a couple of days and left my plants in the mini greenhouse thing thinking it wasn't going to be so warm

I got back tonight and some of my plants have wilted at the top (or to one side)

what do I do? I've watered them and told them they really don't want to die on me but is there anything I can do for them? Or have they bitten the dust?

pah

x

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Done what you can, watering them straight away was the answer..that and keep em out of the sun tomorrow and a prayer [​IMG]

Oh and thanks for the hobnobs can I have a choccy one next time please :D

3. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    they're always chocolate :D plain hobnobs are just wrong

[​IMG]

as for the plants they're looking more alive than they did last night thankfully :D

[ May 16, 2005, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: aqua ]

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    there's me saying keep them out of the sun, when today looks like a wet weekend in bognor

sincere apologies if you are from bognor...have an hobnob [​IMG]

5. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    they're being lovingly coaxed back into the land of the happy tomato plant as I type :D

6. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Aquqa,
    Have I missed the hobnobs,am I too late?
    I see you have an interest for growing edible plants. I am also trying to grow veg etc.
    I made a mistake and picked garlic for my salad they looked like spring onions.
    Oh well we all have to learn.We didn't have guests it was only lunch for the family.
    Jacqui

7. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    AQUA
    Sorry abut my typing error

8. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :D @ the garlic!

I'm only trying tomatoes, chillis and peppers (along with an assortment of herbs) but I don't have a garden, only a victorian terrace back yard so if I get anything at all I'll be pleased :D

9. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like mine, I'm trying to squish as much edible matter as possible into a dinky "garden" - I have a small area of grass that I want to keep as grass, and poured concrete around the edges which is going to be crammed with containers. Hanging baskets for tomatoes, I'm going to have runner beans for my fence, I planted some peas (kelvedon wonder) in a couple of tubs yesterday so fingers crossed... and some courgettes, chillis and butternut squash in the propagator at the moment. I'm just trying to work out the best shape and size container for lettuces and carrots now. Oh and how to solve the fact that carrots prefer sandier soil than compost - does anyone know if you can buy bags of stuff for growing carrots in?

10. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    For those of you who would like to know :D the plants seem to have made a recovery with only a couple of leaves on one tomato plant dead (they turned crispy)

[​IMG] here's hoping they continue to grow!

11. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hannah
    Get a bag of coarse sand & mix it with your soil if it is really heavy (clay?) about 1/3 sand 2/3 soil, (silt or loam should be ok).remove any stones otherwise your carrotts will "fork off" ;)

12. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bayleaf, thanks for that. My soil is most unlike any soil I've ever seen. It's not clayey like my grandparents' and it's not sandy like our previous home (that was great for carrots!), it's almost like compost. I'll pop down to the beach and grab some sand to mix into it, that should be ok, shouldn't it?

Good luck with the toms aqua!

13. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hannah
    Stop! :eek: please don't use sand from the beach - way too salty for garden plants (will kill 'em - salt is good as a weed killer) + think it's "illegal" or somesuch to cart sand away. Wilko's & garden centres sell coarse sand very cheaply in small bags.

Your soil sounds lovely, probably loam you lucky thing! I have very free draining sand on a sloping site - have to bung on loads of muck all the time. Most of the gardens I work in have "lovely :mad: " clay soil. Seems you can't win! Hope this helps [​IMG]

14. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oops. I stand humbly corrected! Thanks Bayleaf. I'll investigate tomorrow.

Yes, it would be lovely, especially if I had more of it... I shall put some pictures up once the garden has been emptied of floorboards, fitted cabinets, boiler, and various other items that have been ripped out of the house! I had to rescue my gladioli from destruction the other day, but then to an ignorant person they do just look like random green things poking their heads up. I only knew because Mum told me...