Oh I'm SO disappointed, Jamie!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Loofah, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,857
    I like Jamie Oliver. I like his cooking and his positive attitude and the way he doesn't feel he has to be over the top 'cheffy' and even seems to shun those that preach that you must do this or that or you're not a good enough chef. He relates to people at home, working hard and having to come up with something quickly with little fuss...

But his latest business venture is a bit like Tupperware parties - you register as a 'consultant' for a fee, of course, and host parties selling his (in my opinion) over-priced designer range of kitchenware. For this you get a small commission and have given your time to sell his products. I am just really disappointed at him going into this field of sales which just reeks of him whoring his name for profit raking.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :( That is sad to hear.. I quite like the guy & he has done allot to help people here & in the US to eat better & feed our children better food.. That isn't really how I would have thought he would have gone about it either.... Ho hum Jamie, just slipped down a rung....

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Oh, the Pukkaware Parties! I thought they were quite cute at first ........ at first! Whoring's about right! [​IMG]

4. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :rotfl::rotfl: I was trying to think of the word Daisees... :rotfl: Pukkaware.... :rotfl:

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes, some people will sell their name, their reputation or anything else for money.
    And no matter how much they make it never seems to be enough.
    I don't think the parties will catch on as the products are pretty rubbish.
    At least the Pukkaware was mostly useful stuff.

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    What annoys me with Jamie Oliver is the fact that he spouts on about being able to prepare and serve up three meals in thirty minutes etc,but I would love to see his wife prepare those meals in thirty minutes with their four kids to look after at the same time.Most of the mums I know have the task of trying to keep their kids occupied {after she has been to work and then picked the kids up from school etc}while she struggles to prepare their evening meal as nine times out of ten so they tell me the kids are whittling them for this that and the other so there is no way they could prepare all those courses in thirty minutes:D

Sainsbury's pays Mr Oliver nearly £2,000,000 I think it is to endorse their products but has admitted he wouldn't be seen dead buying his meat and vegetables from the likes of Sainsburys but buys it all fresh from farm shops etc:yez:

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :yez::gnthb: God point there Kandy.. He never has the kids around his feet or arguing & fighting/// :scratch: Must be 30 mins if you are on your own..!!! :rotfl:

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Is that like Drink Aware but involving more vomit ?

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :lol::lol: Oh Ziggy... I like your sense of humour mate........ :rotfl::rotfl:

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,474
    In the last year alone he has done three series (this last one designed to coincide with the Christmas market) so I guess he can't have seen much of his family. With all the books and series over the years as well as the ads he is amassing a fortune and hardly needs this money making venture as well. I don't have a particularly high impression of him now.

11. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    The Thirty-Minute Meals were a subject on a recent Watchdog programme when people wrote in to say they couldn't make the meals in that amount of time. Tests were set up and most folk took nearer an hour to make them. I expect that is because, when Jamie O makes the meals, he has the veg and other stuff already prepared by minions and has no distractions whilst work is in progress.

I do like him in general, but agree that he really doesn't need to cheapen himself with kitchenware party stuff at inflated prices.