Oh Ooops, Parsnips!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Vince, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    I've just found some parsnips I dug up last year but forgot to bring into the house for cooking (Silly me, must have had a bout of dementia).

They've started sprouting again.

They are Gladiator which I believe is an F1 hybrid, If I replant them do you think I could obtain viable seed from them? Just a thought.

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know about replanting them Vince ...but i came across half a dozen stray parsnips today.....made a nice bitof curried soup with them:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Personally I wouldn't bother with anything F1 ... no telling what the offspring would be like, and you will wait a whole year, and sacrifice the area of ground, and you time, love and care :) to find out.

Buy a packet of seed in the late Summer/Autumn sales (although you may prefer to have current-season seed for Parsnips as their viability falls off sharply; I chit my Parsnip seed, so even seed that is a year or two out of date still gives me enough plants to be useable)

• Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,499
      Thanks Kristen, I've already ordered this years "fresh" seed for consumption, I wasn't planning on filling the whole bed with my new founds, just one or two in a container.... Heck, I'll give it a go... come back in 2 years time for the results! :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Can be worth moving some biennials to the flower border. I think Leeks looks nice when in flower (and old varieties like Musselburgh are open-pollination, so you can save-your-own-seed). Not sure that I think that Parsnips flowers and seed heads are that pretty though!

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,090
        How do you chit parsnip seed, Kristen?

I've often had very poor and slow germination from parsnip so fresh home-saved seed is a a good resource.

Not sure what kind of plant F1 seed would produce but a home gardener doesn't need total uniformity of size and harvest time anyway. Could it produce woody or otherwise unpalatable roots?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Damp kitchen paper in a Tupperware bog. As soon as the root appears I pop them into MPC in newspaper pots (newspaper rolled around an aerosol can) and harden off and plant out by the moment the first true leaf appears [any later and the taproot will be protruding from the bottom of the "pot"]

It has a reputation for being fickle, and I think that is compounded by sowing direct outdoors. But its a debate that has been had on here before and people who have not had a problem sowing direct have not recognised that other's have a problem.

It could produce anything, unfortunately. An F1 is a cross between two parents each of which are pure bred for specific characteristics. Individually they might not have produced a pleasant result, but combined & crossed it produces something greater than the sum of the two parts.

But you might also get something that is very good, or even exceptional.

Personally I don't like to spend the time, space and effort risking it. Ditto, for me, with seed saved from Supermarket Peppers and the like. Instead I devote some time working out the best way of getting the quality seeds that I do want cheaply :) and for the last few years that's been the Wyevale / Garden Centre Group Autumn 50p-per-packet sale.