Ok to plant tropicals in November?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by bexhillgardener, Nov 7, 2010.

1. bexhillgardener

bexhillgardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently moved to East Sussex, about half a mile from the sea, and am planning a reshape and replant of current borders in the next couple of weeks. I would like to plant some tropicals/exotics eg agaves, yuccas, chamaerops, bananas, tree ferns etc etc! I would welcome news of anyone's experiences/advice. Thanks!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Hi Bexhill.
    Personally I think Id wait until spring.

They are not going to make new roots at this time of the year and it could be a recipe for root rot etc.

Also, do you know how the plants have been grown?
    Unless you have knowledge of the plants and conditions they have grown in, you may be planting out some very soft grown plants.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    I'd wait till the spring as well, there's a chance you will lose one or two over the winter and would you really get much benefit by having them now?

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    Don't plants Agaves or any other succulents in the Autumn, they will just sit in wet soil all winter without growing any roots and therefore will be prone to rot. As said above they are all best left till the Spring when the soil is warming up and growth starts.

5. bexhillgardener

bexhillgardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all who replied to my query- I shall heed your advice!

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    Kepp us posted bexhillgardener, I'd like to hear your plans and in particular which plants you are going for, also make sure you take lots of photos so we can see it progressing :thumb:

7. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Do you already have the plants, and if so are the plants in pots, do remember it is easier for the roots to freeze when in pots. If you do have them already then try and keep them up against a house wall and keep the rain off the succulents. May even be worth wrapping the pots with bubble wrap (but not the plants)

If you havent bought them yet, then unless you have a greenhouse I would wait for spring to buy them, may as well let the nurseries look after them over winter so its their risk and not yours. (unless of course you find some real bargains that do turn up atthis time of year).