Okra seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lukenotts, Mar 15, 2011.

1. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have never really come across Okra before, and after having a little read, im really interested in having a go this year... just for a bit of fun.

Not only do the flowers look nice, but I've also found out you can use the seeds as a coffee substitute.

Could anyone give me any pointers about growing Okra, and if possible, suggest which variety will give me the best shot at a successful plant.

Much appreciation, as always,

:dbgrtmb:

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I tried Okra last year for the first time, it was a dismal failure, won`t bother again. This year`s potential disasters are Oca and Asparagus peas.:dbgrtmb::D

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Well Luke.. I agree with you they are intriguing.. They do have beautiful flowers as they are a member of the Hibiscus family, but need lots of warmth & sun... My friend in Jamaica grows them in the garden there & she always picks some fresh for us when we are there... :D

Never heard of the seed used as a coffee substitute tough but always finding out new things..
    They are used in many dishes.. Most famous is probably Gumbo from the deep south or Bhindi Bargee at your local Indian... But............ Yes...... Here it comes.....

I have grown them once here in my greenhouse very successfully & thought would try again.. The following year they did not do well at all, 3rd year they got Cucumber Mosaic virus & even though & emptied & scrubbed & sterilized my green house it came back on the 4th yr too so gave up...... They really need lots of hot hot sun..... So good luck.. :thumbsup:

4. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that Marley, I think I might give them a go... just for a bit of fun... the only thing Im thinking is that I've already got my Cucumbers on the go indoors, and they will be in the greenhouse... so would the Okra be ok to go in with the cucumbers?

Also going in the greenhouse are tomatoes (which I know are a little conflicting with Cucumbers regarding humidity) :DOH:

Well heres for a lovely sunny summer... the last few days here in the Midlands have been completely dismall . :th_scifD36: