Old pond to colourful bog garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Clueless 1 v2, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,769
    Hi all

I have an old pond. It's not really a pond anymore because the one small yellow flag iris I put in it about 10 years ago has now filled the whole thing.

I'm not going to resurrect it as a pond because with the benefit of hindsight and experience, it's a poor implementation in a terrible position. However I like that as it still holds water, I could plant it up with plants that like such conditions.

Before I spend money on another failed project, can I do this: What if I dig out most of the yellow flag iris, add some fresh compost, then put some colourful plants in. I like the crocosmia variants, and I've read that a certain upright lobelia thrives in such conditions.

Will this work? What other gorgeous vivid coloured plants could go in it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,334
      Hi C1v2, are you planning on punching some drainage holes? Some true marginal plants will thrive in mud but not sure about Crocosmia! Plants that will grow in water/wet soil....Lobelia cardinalis 'Queen Victoria' is the really striking one, with scarlet flowers and dark leaves. Houttuynia cordata 'Chamaeleon' comes under the 'vivid' description. Canna 'Durban'. Iris ensata flowers are white, pink or purple. I'd avoid Pontederia cordata. Although it's a striking blue, it's very invasive. There are some interesting Colocasias around, for foliage effect.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,769
        @noisette47 I might put some drain holes in it if that would help? I googled the other plants you suggested, they all fit within my vision for it.

For the crocosmia, if it won't thrive in the old pond, I could put it around it. The area around is currently bare, as when I built it years ago my intention was the area next to it would mimic a beach, although it didn't really work out that way.

• Like Like x 2