Old Tomato compost

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by silu, Nov 8, 2017.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I am in the process of emptying the hanging baskets I had Tomatoes in. In the past I have put the old compost on my veg plot as the peat content improves the veg patch soil structure I think.
    This year I ventured into growing Potatoes with varying degrees of success! However those spuds which didn’t get attacked by 1 thing or another were very tasty so going to repeat the process next year.
    Something in the back of my mind is telling me that the Potato and Tomato are related other than ending in O:heehee:. Am I best therefore to not put the old compost on an area where I will be growing Potatoes next season or have I gone completely bonkers?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,627
    Yes Tomatoes and Potatoes are the same family and share the same pests and diseases, so your feeling is correct. Do not spread the old tomato compost where you intend to grow spuds. This is just to be safe. Did your tomatoes get blight ?

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Hi @JWK, They got a bit of mildew towards the end of the season but don’t think there was any blight. All my Tomatoes were grown in my greenhouse. My spuds on the other hand got a good going doze of blight:wallbanging: in July along with many farmers around here due to it hardly ever stopping raining and very muggy.
      Glad I haven’t gone completely doodleally .....yet.
      Just in case you didn’t read/see when I posted about your Lobelia below is the chunk of Lobelia you kindly sent me. It is still in a pot but will chance planting it out next Spring. Do you need a bit back or was your seed sowing successful?
      1FE379DC-ED8A-4EC4-BE48-D4CB904C774C.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,627
        It was a bad here for blight down south too, all my outdoor tomatoes got it. I am annoyed with myself because previous years I've sprayed with Bordeaux Mixture and had plenty of spray left, I kept telling myself to do it but never got round to it - I've gone doodleally already.

I did see your post about the L. Tupa, it has done well. Just shows that you can move them OK. My seedling has got very big but not flowered this year. I am also keeping mine in a pot and will over-winter in my heated greenhouse, then do the same as you, plant outside in the spring.

• Like Like x 3