OMG - WE'VE GOT NEWTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Honey Bee, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Was clearing some blanket weed from the pond yesterday. I saw something in the gravel where I was putting it and thought it was a large Nymph, but it was a little newt!!!! Oh My Goodness!!!!! I was so excited!!!! The other half and the boys came out to look (very quietly) and have decided it was a Palmate Newt (webbed back feet). We have been really concerned that our pond was suffering because of the cloudy water problem, but after spending some time quietly clearing it yesterday, we have decided it is a VERY healthy pond indeed!! We have some huge frogs, the fish are breeding like its going out of fashion, dragonfly nymphs by the dozen and now newts - WOW!!!!!!!

2. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Was clearing some blanket weed from the pond yesterday. I saw something in the gravel where I was putting it and thought it was a large Nymph, but it was a little newt!!!! Oh My Goodness!!!!! I was so excited!!!! The other half and the boys came out to look (very quietly) and have decided it was a Palmate Newt (webbed back feet). We have been really concerned that our pond was suffering because of the cloudy water problem, but after spending some time quietly clearing it yesterday, we have decided it is a VERY healthy pond indeed!! We have some huge frogs, the fish are breeding like its going out of fashion, dragonfly nymphs by the dozen and now newts - WOW!!!!!!!

3. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    [​IMG] That's a great discovery H-Bee! Your pond certainly seems to be perfectly balanced with that varied wildlife in it.Well done!
    I wanted to take out blanket weed from mine but it was full of Tadpoles so I'm leaving it for a while.

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    [​IMG] That's a great discovery H-Bee! Your pond certainly seems to be perfectly balanced with that varied wildlife in it.Well done!
    I wanted to take out blanket weed from mine but it was full of Tadpoles so I'm leaving it for a while.

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Well spotted Honey Bee, I have Smooth and Palmate newts at work. The water isn't clear enough to see what they are up to. :D

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Well spotted Honey Bee, I have Smooth and Palmate newts at work. The water isn't clear enough to see what they are up to. :D