once harvested - storage?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by GYO newbie, Jun 28, 2015.

1. GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
    +178
    Hi. Just brought in my first courgette. He is lovely. Only thing is I don't want to eat him today. Should I wash him and put him in the fridge? Don't wash him but place him in a material 'vegetable' bag I got from Lakeland and wash him when I am ready to use him?

Same for potatoes - do I wash try them or leave the washing until ready to cook?

FYI - I also have a potato and onion material storage bag!

Don't need advice on storing strawberries as they don't last long enough!!!!! Don't think I am going to get many - am I right in thinking first year plants don't produce stacks?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Hold back on washing until you're prepping for cooking. When that lovely shiny sheen on courgettes start to disappear, it's time to use them before they go off. Those Potato/Mushroom & Onion storage bags really do work, best bought from Poundland rather than from Lakeland at silly prices. Don't know whether they'd work with Courgettes - good idea, must try it. Whilst on the subject, Baguette bags really do keep baguettes fresh for an extra day or two. 'Extra Special' size (end of season/return from hols) courgettes always save better than their smaller siblings, some of ours have lasted until Xmas.

• Like Like x 2
      Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,702
      Best not to wash potatoes either, leave them as they come out of the ground and store them somewhere cool and dark. If you harvest a lot of spuds at once, leave them out on the soil to dry for a few hours before storing, then store in hessian or paper sacks NOT plastic bags.

First year strawberry plants will benefit from having fruit cut off and discarding so the plants can use its strength to grow a good root system, but in reality who can cut strawberries off and throw them away...

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1