1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

One year on....and beyond

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Sheal, Oct 5, 2018.

1. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    That's ok, sorry I couldn't help more

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,599
      I appreciate your idea @mazambo, thank you. :) I should have given more detail.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,485
      Sorry, only come late to this thread. You're doing a wonderful job. :thumbsup:

Re bird bath:- have you thought about a pottery or ceramic baking dish? I would guess that they are able to stand frosts - but don't know.

I, also, was sceptical about water divining until we had a serious underground leak here. The water authority spent three days with their electronic water leak machine and got nowhere apart from saying the leak was somewhere in the front garden. Not hard to work that out as the water main ran from the road to the house and the test holes they dug showed that the whole of the garden was waterlogged up to 18" from the surface! :doh:

Mrs Shiney contacted someone she knew, in Yorkshire, that was in the water divining business. He said he reckoned he could work it out if we sent him a map of our property (he said he does remote water divining as well :scratch:). We said there seemed nothing to lose so copied a couple of site maps we had and sent them to him. He got them the next day and phoned us. He asked us to get out our original map and gave us measurements on the map to where he thought the leak was. I then phoned the foreman of the team that had been searching for our leak and he got one of his men to dig there. It was spot on! I still don't believe it! :rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        A definite Victor Meldrew moment @shiney. Sorry @Sheal you won't know who Victor was as he was a character in a tv programme and damned funny/dreadful:) he was too. Wish 1 Foot In The Grave was still going. To my mind there are very few really funny as opposed to just plain rude comedy programmes on the tv these days. I am now sounding just like Victor:snorky:.

• Funny Funny x 2
        • shiney

Ratings:
          +118,485
          I don't believe it!!! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,599
            No apology needed @shiney. :) Thank you, so far 'A' has done the work that shows and I'm busy on all those bits that don't, like digging rocks out of the lawns. :doh:It's all necessary of course and will eventually make life easier working out there.

That's an idea, thanks I'll check those out although I may have the same problem with size. 18" diameter preferably.

I like your water leak story. I'd like to know how the diviner worked with a map though? :scratch:

@silu I remember seeing Victor Mildrew a couple of times before our tv was ousted. I couldn't watch him for long as he drove me mad! :biggrin:

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,485
            So would I, but he was correct :noidea:

Be careful when clearing bracken. It shouldn't be done when the bracken has spores under the leaves (hundreds of small circles of it under the leaves). They give off the spores and they're thought to be carcinogenic. :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,599
              Thanks Shiney. :) I am aware of the dangers of bracken. Earlier this year I cleared it after it was totally dead and flat on a windless day. If the spores don't get me the Roundup probably will as I'll be using that when it re-shoots next Spring.

Roundup have released a new weed killer that's glyphosate free, containing vinegar instead. I thought it was illegal to use it here in Britain?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +46,155
              My father could do it on the farm, holding two copper wires bent into L shapes. When they cross, that's the spot. It can be non-scientifically explained by resonance between the copper, water. I don't understand how it could work from a map though !

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,599
                Eighteen months on now and although improvements have been made in the front garden it looks a mess - but it had to get worse before it gets better. Hopefully, with all the major work done I can now start to develop it.

Last week a local man (known as 'A' here) who does the work for me that I can't, came in to widen the turning area of my drive. With the contents of my garage now in the new shed our car has a home, but backing it out meant shunting a number of times to turn on the drive. 'A' dug out part of the lawn and gravelled the area as well as topping up the rest of the drive.

IMG_4699.JPG

IMG_4711.JPG

IMG_4712.JPG

'A' also dug out the Bamboo and half dead Lilac trunk beside the oil tank. The Bamboo was quite shallow rooted and despite the rain of recent weeks it was very dry at the base. If you look closely just beyond the fence around the oil tank you can see two sticks. They are two different, young, variegated hollies I planted last autumn.

IMG_4702.JPG

He also put up the trellis to disguise the shed from the road. The space has been left for storing my bins and other bits and pieces once I get some slabs down there. I still haven't decided on climbers for the trellis although I've had some lovely suggestions from our friends here. I have also planted three young roses around the far end of the tank to disguise that.

IMG_4706.JPG

At the moment I'm slowly working my way through the half ton of soil that 'A' dug out, clearing it of rocks, stones and roots. That is being distributed into dips on the lawns.

• Like Like x 13
                • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                  At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                  Ratings:
                  +49,605
                  My, that does look good! He has done a grand job on that driveway.

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,599
                    Thanks FC. :) 'A' can lay his hand to just about anything and always does a good job.

• Like Like x 2
                      Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
                    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      Exciting development Sheal :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +52,599
                        Thanks Verdun. It's coming along slowly but surely. :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +52,599
                        Right, I'll get this thread under way again. :)

Returning to the back garden. The recommended Round-up Extra for killing the bracken didn't touch it either so I ordered Gallup from a website online. I sprayed the bracken in early summer last year (2019) and although it takes 6 to 8 weeks to work it has killed the bracken. Some re-sprouted this year and has had another dose so I'll have to wait and see what happens next year.

115.JPG

All the rocks are the remains of a dry stone wall that runs the whole length of the side boundary from the back to front garden. Although not enough to re-build I'll realign them at some point as this is a joint boundary and I need to define it.

I've still not made a decision about the bed in the back garden. For the last couple of years it's been home to a few plants and the runner beans I have grown.

110.JPG

Last year we started to experience problems with our septic tank drainage. There are three tanks, one for solids and two for liquids. These run across the end of the back garden at the base of a bank. The first lid you see nearest the fence covers a sunken area for a pump that moves the liquids on via a pipe from the solids tank along the bank, to the liquid tanks at the other side of the garden. The second lid covers the solids tank. The width of the garden is approximately 55ft.

117.JPG

The liquid tanks should disperse filtered fluids into a soakaway in the field at the back of the garden, shown below on the left of the tanks. The problem was that the soakaway had stopped functioning and the liquids released were coming to the surface of the field. With investigation from our man 'A' it was decided to put this right in Spring of this year. He first had to gain permission from the crofter who owned the field. That permission wasn't forthcoming, for what reason we don't know but he said to leave it as it was. Obviously we couldn't do that so we needed to find a different idea. We decided to ask the owner of the side field if we could drain the tanks into his field and he agreed.

Having got our heads together we decided against a soakaway and to lay a perforated pipe from the tanks into the field.

118.JPG

'A' started by digging out the soakaway at the back of the tanks and that soon filled with the drain off, which obviously meant that the old soak away had either collapsed or was blocked.

125.JPG

Having laid the first piece of pipe from the tanks he then dug through into the field.....

129.JPG

..... and continued digging a trench for the pipe 80ft down the field.

131.JPG

The pipe laid and the trench filled in. There are horses in that field and at one point 'A' had an audience while digging. They stood quite close and weren't spooked by the digger. :)

133.JPG

We decided that the only tree in the back garden, a 30ft Sycamore had to be felled as it was immediately over the pipes running between the tanks and we were worried about root damage.

120.JPG
                        121.JPG

The tree gone and 'A' tidied up the bank.

136.JPG

Since this work back in April I've been making repairs to the lawns which had been damaged by the digger tracks. I've uncovered the lids of the inspection areas and intended to re-seed the bank with grass seed. I will level the lawn line with grass seed but have recently decided that it's too much for me to strim the bank at least three times a year, especially with barbed wire that runs along the back fence. Come next Spring I will grow ground cover plants from seed and cover the whole bank with those, a lot less maintenance.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9