Onion Sets

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by David G, Jan 4, 2009.

1. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All

I have some Marshalls vouchers and was planning on trying these Onion sets Fen Early, Red Baron and White Prince and some other items including potatoe sacks. Anyone grown these Onions and any comments welcome before I order, I am hoping they store well my last years crop started splitting in storage I think I may have left them in too long.

Thanks

Dave

2. vegmandan

vegmandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've grown Fen Early before and they were good and stored really well,Red Baron are good but make sure they are Heat Treated otherwise they tend to bolt.

I grew some white onions a few years ago but they didn't grow well at all and got really badly affected by botrytis.

3. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Red Baron are great, and good for storing too.

4. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    I grew some white onions a few years ago but they didn't grow well at all and got really badly affected by botrytis.[/quote]

Glad someone else besides me had the same problem (the PC crew would spout ISSUE).

They did not grow very well and they certainly did not keep very long, the ones we were able to cook and eat were very sweet!
    Never tried them again!

Cheers!

5. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All
    Looks like Marshalls have both types you have all recommended, thanks for the replies.
    Not sure if I will get up to Vegmandan's size looking at his avatar but will have a go.

Thanks

Dave