onions from seed

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by galaxysue, Mar 10, 2010.

1. galaxysue

galaxysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my husband has entered a competition at work to grow the largest onion ha ha.
    Basically we have been given 10 seeds to grow and nurture, I didn't know you grew onions from seeds. We have planted our seeds in compost and their little shoots are showing, looks a bit like a small spring onion what do we do now?? Any tips would be definatly appreciated

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    OK so you need to keep them moving, but cool, not too warm and as much light as they can get.

They need to be planted singularly in 3 ins pots, and an area outside in which to plant them needs to be prepared, some manure would be good but general fertiliser such as chicken pellets dug in would be ok.
    They should be planted out, in around mid April depending on weather conditions, and after hardening off for a couple of weeks.
    After that just keep them weed free and for real big ones a nitrogen feed before the end of June can help.
    Then its down hill until late August for harvesting.

I guess you have been given the seed so that everyone is growing the same variety.
    I used to grow "Kelsae" for real big ones.

3. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    I grow all my onions from seed without any problems.

This year I've sown "The Kelsae", "Bedfordshire Champion", "Red Baron" and "Long Red Florence"

I transplant my seedlings at the "loop" stage to 9cm pots and plant out after hardening off in early April to I bed I started preparing the previous Autumn.

Good luck with your endeavour, I'll be interested in the outcome as I'm trying to grow a few sizeable specimens :)

4. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd recommend that, after planting in the garden, cover with net or fleece to prevent birds from lifting them! Once they are rooted this is less of a concern and the cover can be taken off.

Also keep an eye on them with regards to downy mildew fungus. Don't use overhead irrigation and weed regularly.

5. galaxysue

galaxysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have transplanted them into 3 inch pots I have 8 seedlengs left out of 10 seeds, they look a bit like small spring onions, no bulb showing yet, I have been putting them out during the day and putting them in the greenhouse overnight fingers crossed for a decent result!!

6. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Best of luck and do keep us posted :)

7. galaxysue

galaxysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    update we have managed to hang on to our 8 onion plants I have now planted them out they are like small spring onions at the moment but as of yet no bulbs, as I understand we are the only ones left in the competition with anything to plant so even if I grow a spring onion we will win

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    The bulbs form in July time onwards, at this time you should concentrate on growing as much top growth as possible.
    The bigger and stronger the leaves before the longest day determines how big the bulbs will get.

Thats what they used to say anyway:wink: