onions rotting

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by slim, Jul 15, 2009.

1. slim

slim Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone tell me what is wrong with my onions i have pulled a lot of them out and found a lot with a rotten centre plus roots almost gone before pulling them they looked great so not noticed untill out

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,992
    Its sounds like Onion White Rot, it's a white fungus growing on the roots causing them to rot away. It makes the onions inedible and they won't store. It is very serious and means you can't grow on that patch again for several years. I do hope I'm wrong.

It could also be onion fly, you should be able to see the small maggots when you pull up the onions although you should have noticed the leaves yellowing before that.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I wondered about Onion White Rot too John, but wouldn't the foliage have been yellow etc. before harvest?

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,992
    With White Rot it depends on the stage of the disease, if you catch it early the leaves look OK.

At this time of year onion tops are beginning to fall over and soon will be yellowing and dying off naturally, just to confuse things.

5. slim

slim Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys
    thanks for quick reply i am sure you are right
    thanks again

slim