Onions/Shallots - how long to sprout?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Gren, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Gren

Gren Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Planted some onion sets, shallots and garlic around 3 weeks ago (all within the space of 2 successive weekends). The garlic is going great guns and most of the cloves planted (4 bulbs worth) have sprouted and are now around 4-5 inches tall. There is though no growth at all from the onions or shallots.

When should I start to see some signs of life? Am anxious to see something happening -this is my first year of growing after moving house last year and inheriting a few dozen half grown onions.

They are in raised beds under netting to protect them from birds but especially our cats so am sure they are undisturbed!

Thanks

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Gren and welcome to GC. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. My shallots were put in around 3 weeks ago too, and are showing no signs of growing either. They're usually pretty reliable so should be fine. Cheers...freddy.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I never keep note of when my onion/shallots start to sprout - I think it does seem to take a while, they put down their roots first - so its all happening under the soil right now! You will get a nice surprise when they all suddenly sprout.

4. Gren

Gren Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - thought as much but wanted to make sure. Keen to see things moving as my toms are just tiny shoots as well along with the spuds

Gren