ooops just had an accident with my banana plant!

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Mel, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mel

Mel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was in my greenhouse just now cutting all the old dead brown leaves off my 2 red banana plants and accidently snipped the top off the new growth underneath. I usually have them in a heated greenhouse so the leaves stay alive and well but to cut costs this winter they've had to make do with a cold greenhouse so all the leaves have withered and gone brown and crispy. The bit I cut was like a bud shape and inside you can see lots of layers like new leaves forming. Have I ruined it?Will it be ok?

I'm praying it will be as it's my biggest and best banana and I'd hate to lose it now!

Mel.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352

It will grow back they grow from the base upwards , so dont worry lucky you they survived the winter

The first new leaves will look a bit ragged but wont belong before its back to new

Spruce

3. Mel

Mel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying and putting my mind at rest!

I'm in Devon so it's milder here than elsewhere which is why I chanced them without the heater. I did wrap them up in old sacks as insurance though!

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Spruce is right, your banana will survive the haircut!! It's easy done, so I'll take a lesson from your misfortune and exercise great care trimming mine"

5. Musa Monkey

Musa Monkey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No problem at all, in a few weeks time when its pushed out more leaves you wont even notice it.