Options for evergreen climbers?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Hummingbird, May 1, 2020.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My garden is surrounded by 6ft fencing and I already have three large-flowered clematises (clemati?) with willow trellis attached to the fence for support.

I absolutely love clematis and would happily cover the entire fenceline in them(!), combining different colours and flowering times.

However, I'd like some evergreens, partly for privacy and partly for year-round interest. Atop the rear fence there's an extra 2 ft of 'trellis' already in place that I can make use of for added privacy when covered.

The rear of the fence south-facing and the location is open, so the right and left sides just get the morning and evening shadow respectively from the fence itself.

What are my best options for each side and are they free-climbing or do they need additional trellis or mesh like the clematis?

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,918
    A few options for you
    Clematis armandii
    passiflora
    some of the jasmines
    trachelospermum
    some of the honeysuckles
    They will need additional wires or a framework. A lot of the climbers require yearly pruning when they've become established and you have to be quite brutal in some cases as well. I speak from experience.
    There is quite a range of evergreen shrubs that can be pruned flat against a wall or fence, just prune out the outward facing bits. They don't look so ragged plus they should be free standing.
    examples
    pyracantha
    skimmia
    hebe
    and even fargesia
    Happy planning

• Like Like x 1
    • Hummingbird

Hummingbird Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks, flounder. That gives me a good starting point :smile: