Orange coloured sword.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by gardeners26, Sep 26, 2007.

1. gardeners26

gardeners26 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the cause/treatment for orange coloured sword in my lawn? Not patches but evenly distributed over the lawn.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Could be a problem called "crown rust" a fungal disease that seems to have ploriferated with the wet summer you can treat it with a fungicide but if it is persistant think of replacing your grass with a more resistant strain.

3. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same problem. Haven't been able to cut for a while due to weather. Turf has been down about 6 months and one probem after another - red thread in summer and now this. I have mowed it, scarified it and put loads of holes in it or drainage (I have probably just spread the problem around) Do I have to treat it, will it go away on it's own?

If I have to treat it I have some copper fungicide - can I use this?

Would welcome any advice

4. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Update, this seems to have gone away in the cold weather so hopefully no action required, I hope you have found the same gardener26

5. Ian@Ideal

Ian@Ideal Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ellie,
    If red thread does come back use a product called 'chipco green' or 'heritage'. You may need to shop around online to find it as it's a trade product, but I'm sure you'll find it.

As for the brown tops on the tips of the grass, it's often caused by mowing with blunt blades. Sounds daft I know, but if the grass is damp, as was the case most of the summer, and the blades are blunt, on some of the coarser grass it's wouldn't be a suprise to find some rusting.

Hope this helps, Ian.

www.ideallawns.biz

6. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Ian,

You are right about the mower. Though we have been very careful not to mow when wet.

To be honest it has been one problem after another and if I ever get another new lawn laid from turf I will be very careful about the type of grass I go for. As a complete novice I let our landscape gardener put down any old turf - to this day I can't get him to tell me what the grass type was. He seems reluctant to find this out from the turf supplier. Probably got a job lot off the back of a lorry :D

Anyway within a couple of weeks it was covered in seedheads - so either full of weed grass or it is a type of tough ryegrass. Anyway it is so course we are on our second new lawnmower and neither blade had been tough enough to cut it properly. It is a huge dissapointment as having spent thousands on the new garden and the lawn being a big feature I wanted it to be lovely and it always looks sick. I feed it, scarify it and aereate it but it is never happy! :D

I am thinking of getting greenthumb in for some advice and to sort it out.

Would highly recommend anyone getting a new lawn does some research into the type of grass they want, do not spare expense and make sure the ground is prepared impecably to avoid problems, otherwise you will spend far more trying to fix it all the time.

Cheers EGW

7. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry Ian just noticed your link! Maybe I'll be in touch!

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    A good bit of advice when buying turf is to buy direct from the grower and ask to actualy look at the growing field before you buy. Thankfully I am blessed with an excellent turf suplier local to me.