Orange Tree Leaves Curling

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Steph550, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Steph550

Steph550 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have a small orange tree in a pot, which has been outside all summer but has recently been moved inside now the weather is turning colder.

Over the last week a lot of the leaves have curled up, and some of them have dropped. I'm hoping someone can help me out with a reason for this, I'm thinking it could be one, or a combination, of the following:

- I moved the tree straight into a centrally heated house from outside, probably not the best idea and potentially causing a bit of shock to it

- Underwatering? I had been giving it a small amount of water once a week but didn't water it last week as a lot of my houseplants' soil was still moist.

- Overwatering? Is once a week/once every two weeks too often to be watering it over winter?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd be grateful for any advice as this is my first citrus tree and I want to make sure it stays healthy.

Thanks,

Steph.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

Could just be the moving in, citrus trees need about 60% humidity so misting with lime free water would help.

I wouldn't water it too much over winter, and only in the morning or evening if its in direct sunlight. :)

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I think its in shock, the move from cool to warm combined with the drop in humidity.
    They will take a fair amount of cold as long as frost free.

Often green healthy leaves curling is a sign of dryness, so water well then leave until almost dry.
    its impossible to say how often to water, you water when dry, and then enough to reach the bottom of the pot, even let it stand in some for an hour.

It will look a bit rough for this winter now, as I doubt those leaves will recover.
    I'd also cut off the oranges.