Solved Orange tree ? Sawfly

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Love my chicken, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Love my chicken

Love my chicken Gardener

Retired Nurse
    Ratings:
    +460
    481FFE3B-0DA6-472E-96F4-34D67A4B312F.jpeg 1520D3B0-268A-4C49-B6A4-73C4F0D99A3D.jpeg hi, my orange tree has overwintered in the greenhouse. It’s not looking too healthy. I removed what I think are sawfly lava but I’m not really sure. Does anyone have ideas as to what they are and how to treat them. Thank you Lesley

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    I just squash them at first sight, some kind of tortrix moth is my guess and I've had them on Citrus.
    Usually once I see a couple of leaves stuck together I just give them a squeeze.

• Like Like x 2
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,334
      Same here. If it's just one tree, it shouldn't take too long to eradicate them by hand. If it's a big, very leafy tree you could try spraying with Bacillus thuringiensis. That will deal with moth caterpillars (but not sawflies) without harming beneficial insects. Can't see from the photo, but if they appear to have 'legs' all the way down the body, they're sawfly larvae. Caterpillars only have 4 pairs at the front.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1