Orchid care

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Freddy, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi folks.

I guess I could have searched out the info I'm after, but I figured that a few others may well get an Orchid for Christmas, so I decided to start this thread :)

My wife has just been given an Orchid for her Birthday. Thing is, we've had these before, and try as we might, they ALWAYS die, eventually. At the moment, it's still in the pot it came in, in a fairly dark part of the room, although light does come in through the doors at the back. Can someone please tell me, in some detail, the best way to look after it? Light/feed/watering/temp, that kinda thing.

Cheers...Freddy.

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    Can we assume that it's a Phalaenopsis?

First off, if the plant come with a cache pot find another use for the cache pot!
    Stand on a deep plant saucer that has gravel in. Top up with water to just below the top of the gravel.
    At this time of year, Phals are perfectly ok in a south facing window - in the summer mine used to sit to one side of a south facing window, but now they go outdoors in a shady spot.
    Temperature wise, 15 to 20°c is right enough for a Phal.
    I water about once every ten days or so - it's a question of "feel" really. When it feels light it gets water. I stand mine in a deep dish with water half way up the plant pot for half an hour, and then place back on the gravel. I don't mess about with rain water. Feed them with a dedicated orchid feed when you remember.
    If the plant has aerial roots, mist them every few days if you remember - it stops them shrivelling up and looking a mess.

When it finishes flowering, I leave the spike unless it starts to go brown at the end. If it does, cut in the first instance just above the top non flowering node. Use clean and sharp cutters.

At this time of year it is not unusual for the blooms to die prematurely or blast before they even open - the damage will have been done at the retail outlet as they are invariably near the entrance to grab impulse buyers.

If it isn't a Phal, let us know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Hiya longk.

Yes, it's a Phalaenopsis. I assume that when you say a 'cache' pot, you mean the clear type? I'd assumed it was clear for a reason? So, if I pot it into something else, what kinda pot? Bigger? A regular pot?

Cheers...Freddy.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,091
      No - by cache pot I meant a ceramic pot that the clear pot sits inside. I find them useful for putting keys in, but not orchids!!

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Ah right, gotcha. Thanks :)