Orchid Propagation

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kandy, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    My friend has a Phalaenopsis Orchid,which with my help is still growing after three years.
    Now, sprouting out of one of the old flower spikes which is still healthy looking are what looks like two new plantlets/Orchidlets?They are spaced about two inches away from each other.Each has a number of leaves about three inches long growing out of the flower spike and both are sending out what looks like arial roots.
    What I need to know is what stage would it be best to remove the offsets for repottinginto Orchid compost.I don't want to do it too early for fear of losing them if done too early [​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I've had the same happen, and what I did was to get the roots going in pots before cutting off from the old plant, not easy if your growing it as a house plant I know.
    Not sure if you can cut them off then root them but I would think it would work, as long as the plantlets are well formed and with a decent root system.

3. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks Pete.The plantlets are quite high up the flower stalk,so I think there will be a problem trying to get the planlets into pots without laying down the main plant,a bit difficult.When I see her this week I will get a photo,then you can see the problem.

I have never seen it happen before as the flower spike is always chopped off after flowering.
    I didn't realise they would grow like this

4. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    These are my friends Orchids.I would like some advice on when to seperate the babies from the parent plant-Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The problem arises because we use canes to hold the plant upright. They naturally grow in the forks of trees and so grow horizontally, outwards and downwards. That makes it easy for the plantlets to find another mossy niche.. Try laying the plant on its side at an angle and then pegging the plantlets into loose mossy compost. Don't over water. When the plantlets are really established, you can cut them free.

6. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Ok.Thankyou HB.It is my friends plant and it was a moving in presant when she arrived in our village three years ago,and has flowered almost non stop since then.We were both suprised when the babies started to grow and when I see her each week the arial roots are getting longer.

Would Orchid compost be ok? as that is all I have got which I use for my orchids and I know she hasn't got any as she leaves the plants to me to water and look after

7. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    They are called keikis! I do the same as Pete and Hornbeam, let thet them grow on a bit in another pot before detaching. A bit like spontaneous layering. As H. says much more likely to happen if stalks are not vertical. The other thing to do is tie moss round the junction of old and new plant, and keep just moist.

8. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thankyou everyone for your advice.I will see if I can get some moss from the garden centre or ask my friend if she can get some.
    I am seeing her tomorrow,and she will be pleased that we are getting advice on what to do.

Not being a gardener,I think I will have to bring the plant home to layer it.I will keep it indoors for the time being as that is the conditions it is used to as I think the greenhouse will be too cold.
    I will keep you all posted hopefully with photo's as to how they are getting on

Once again Thanks [​IMG]