organic gardening

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Royster, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone,
    thought I would pop this question in here as I am not sure where else it may fit in, really. I may stand to be corrected... and if so, pardon my ignorance.
    Main train of thought right now - I have been "trained (or brainwashed maybe)" to use chemicals to help with the work in the garden but now I am particularly keen to integrate - to the best of my ability - the organic philosophy. However, my main difficulty is, how does the organic gardener eradicate the likes of ground elder, mares tail, bindweed particularly if growing within the likes of irises, ornamental grasses/bamboos, ground cover plants without investing a wealth of time?
    Please, please tell me it can be done! There has to be a trick of the organic trade out there somewhere...
    Kindest regards
    Roy

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    You dig it up, Roy! :D

A massive job, involving teasing out the roots from in between other plants' roots! Hope you've got plenty of time to do it! :rolleyes:

Seriously - there isn't any other green alternative. You can't use a flame-thrower for obvious reasons, and hoeing isn't possible for other obvious reasons, and the stale seed-bed technique won't work either - so digging it out is all you're left with, in my humble opinion....

If anyone has a better alternative, I'll be only too happy to hear it!!

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Roy

I would not call myself an organic gardener, but I sympathise. I have hardly used any chemical over the last 4 years and I never use slug pellets. My view is that rather than being an organic fundamentalist, you should be flexible and use as little as possible. I would dig most things out, but occasionally (only happened once with bindweed) you do have to use something like a systemic weedkiller.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Hi Royster

I agree with dendy and PeterS. You have to decide whether you want to embrace being organic as a total philosophy or whether you are prepared to compromise a little. We have been totally organic for years but have nothing against judiciously using chemicals on persistent weeds.

We have bindweed, mares tail, ground elder, strawberry weed etc. Digging will keep it under control - if done carefully - but will not eradicate it, especially if they are amongst other plants. If they are amongst ground cover plants then using chemicals is not going to be all that effective either but will save you quite a bit of time.

We live with ours but keep it in check regularly.

PeterS
    I see that there is a make of slug pellets that claims to be totally harmless to pets and wildlife (I don't know whether you have to throw them hard at the slugs ! [​IMG] [​IMG] ) but costs twice as much as the other types. I tend to take claims of being totally harmless as 'advertising speak' but there should be something in the claim. It reminds me of when our plane touched down in Mombasa to refuel and, before we took off, ground staff came on board to spray the cabin with insect killer. The captain announced that it was OK because it was totally harmless. I bet the insects didn't think so! We kept our faces covered for quite a while and hoped that the chemical settled to the floor.

-------------
    shiney

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks Shiney and Dendro.

One reason I don't like slug pellets is the blue colour. Sounds silly, but you grow plants to make them look nice, and all the blue bits around detract - especially from things in pots.

There is also a sport element - oh I know agricultural realism is politically incorrect. But I grew some Campanula Takesmana from seed. And I read that they are pretty invasive but also loved by slugs. So I planted a few and have just left them to slug it out between theselves. :D

7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  8. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Dendrobium, like the thought of the flame thrower! In our business though is it practical to dig out the roots at the clients expense? How do "you" approach the client and tell them that to sort this border will take 5 hours or whatever, rather than 1 hour? Look forward to your advice! For those that don't know I, like Dendrobium, am in the garden maintenance/development business.

PeterS and Shiney - a little bit of chemical integration into a mainly organic regime. How about the fact that Glyphosate is based originally on the chemistry of a plant (I think? - memory lapse). Does this make it partially organic? [​IMG]

I would be very interested to learn from someone who has used nematodes to control slugs successfully, and also those that have utilised the new "organic" slug pellets and garlic granules!

Many thanks!
    Kind regards
    Roy

9. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I use the Slug Stoppa granules around seedlings. Slugs can't cross the barrier. All blue pellets are weapons of mass destruction and kill indiscriminately. Once you use any pesticides or insecticides - even organic ones like pyrethum - you risk upsetting the natural balance of your garden. Then, with the creatures that hunt and eat the pests dead - you are in real trouble. It takes ages to right the wrong and get back on track.

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Agree with that, Hornbeam.

Roy - re digging out roots at clients' expense - it depends on so many things.

If it's something like ground elder in a well established perennial border, as it so often is, then I've usually gone for a two-prong approach. Areas that are accessible to digging, I do that, and keep an eagle eye on it afterwards, hoicking out any ones that I've missed. Then, when the perennials have died back, I lift, divide, and disentangle roots at that point.

If it's really not practical, if the clients aren't really interested in long-term solutions, then I hoe, and keep hoeing. It's not satisfactory from my point of view, but it keeps the garden tidy, which is all some people want. I always explain that you won't get rid of the weeds that way, and why, but they're generally happy enough with that.

Re the nematodes - my mother-in-law has used them in her previous garden, and was very impressed. I ahve a bit of a problem with this, though, as I don't like killing anything, even slugs! And even if it's "green" it's not very friendly! :D

Finally flame-throwers! A bloke who works with me on some jobs has one, and it's very useful in areas like gravel and paving. It's a proper big one - a real dragon! :D

11. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Re nematodes. I have never needed to buy them because a healthy organic soil should have them already.

12. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have used the Aluminium Sulphate crystals and they seem to work. Research at Sheffield Uni suggests that the timing of slug pellet applications is far more critical than the quantity. They reckoned you only need one appliction per annum to achieve maximum cost-benefit wrt germinating seedlings. Well that doesn't help those of us with herbaceous borders but it makes you think (as they say).

I'd say if you are serious about going green learn about your slugs. Many of the common ones are carnivorous and eat other slugs, so not a lot of point in poisoning them.

No idea how Dendy gets the time to lift and fiddle with his herbaceous borders. My clients want results (meaning value for money) and to them that usually means seeing instant improvements. I personally believe in such cases it is better to take a scorched earch approach to these serious weeds. Lift anything worthwhile and mess with it as necessary to get it clean, and just total the rest, with a fallow year required. You can use weedkillers, or rotavate regularly (ruins the soil) or dig it over, or hoe it, or a combination of all of those, but take the time to get a clear soil. Then your planting can be allowed to develop as organically as you like, you will be able to keep control of it so much easier. And year on year the organic principle will start to pay off.

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Dendy's a she, Jazid :rolleyes: But the serious point is that it depends on the customer - most of mine wouldn't have the option of having things fallow for a time, or the space to put things for the time being. But some do understand about digging the stuff out - and are prepared to pay for the time involved. And I'm a very fast and thorough worker!! :D :D You should see my testimonials!! Am I allowed to say that before the watershed?? [​IMG]

And I get results all right!!

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    We dig the weeds out where we can and consider them part of garden plants everywhere else! We do manage to keep them under control quite well and, over the years, have managed to get rid of a lot. The only one we have had very little success with is mares tail and I go round regularly and carefull pull them vertically. This usually pulls out up to six inches of root so they don't appear above ground for a while.

Our garden is too big to remove everything but we have had some success with total removal of everything in a bed and then left for a year whilst continuing to remove anything that comes up. We have managed that with two beds so far. We have nearly three quarters of an acre and my old bones can't cope with too much bending. The mowing and edging takes long enough! - plus trying to keep the veggies under control. The butternut squash trial is going OK but the 4 plants have now covered approx 800 sq feet. I might suggest them as good ground cover.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

-----------------
    shiney

15. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :D