"Organics" is a con

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by vegmandan, Mar 24, 2008.

1. vegmandan

vegmandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Although I pesonally try to use as little pesticides as possible, whether they be "Organic" or not, it really annoys me when people are led to believe that "Organics" are in some way harmless.

I wouldn't try drinking a pint of Derris

Apparently just because something is naturally occuring then it is "Safe" according to the Organic Brigade.

Bordeaux Mixture is now classed as "organic" and therefore assumed to be harmless.

It is made of Copper Sulphate and Calcium Oxide but because it occurs naturally it is "Safe" and "Nice"

Yet again,have a tablespoon of Copper Sulphate and see how you go !!.

So can I cover my Garden in Crude Oil,as this is natural, and class it as Safe ?

I don't think so,and I wouldn't want to think so either..

:D :D :D

[ 25. March 2008, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: vegmandan ]

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Try drinking a pint of Derris
    Yet again,have a tablespoon of Copper Sulphate and see how you go
    Don't think I will bother vegman and I don't think it recommends you to do so on the labels :eek:

3. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  4. vegmandan

vegmandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    OK I wouldn't try eating or drinking them

But Copper Sulphate is classed as an Organic product yet it is Highly Toxic,It is highly toxic to to Fish and any soil borne animal.
    It will have disasterous effects on Earth worms.

So how on earth can "Organic" products be described as being better for the environment ??

What is Copper Sulphate better than ? Napalm ?

[ 25. March 2008, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: vegmandan ]

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I agree, but as an 'ideal' it's a better philosophy to strive for than a chemical free for all [​IMG]

There are always exceptions especially in the natural world. Naturally occuring radiation isn't too clever ;) And organic slurry wouldn't be something I would want to get on my paintwork. :eek:

I have often found in the organic debate that it's the middle class food snobs that attribute labels like safe and taste to organic food. Also increased obsessions in allergies and pesticides etc. Organic to me just means that it has been grown without the aid of chemicals commonly used in intensive farming. Which is a good thing but not a guarantee of taste and safety.

Interestingly I went to buy some organic watercress to make soup recently but I couldn't get hold of any as the water had been contaminated by some hideous fly larve ! The watercress had been removed from the shelves on safety advice :eek:

6. vegmandan

vegmandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.I actually don't use any pesticides at all.
    But the Chemical Free Organic thing is misleading too.

Copper Sulphate,whether made in a lab or collected naturally :Chemical Formula CuSO4.

So It's hypocritical for the Organic companies to say that it's chemical free,surely ?. [​IMG]

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I don't know that they do, but as a rule of thumb it would have to be 'added' chemicals as everything is made up of something off the periodic table :D

Organic on a label will sell a product so it defo pays to read the label. It's a bit like fat free, 'we took all the fat out and stuffed it full of sugar instead' :D enjoy you fat free diabeties inducing snack bar [​IMG]

:D

8. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    Totally agree Vegmandan.

The "organic" crew are middle class twits conning other guillable ones.
    You may not have noticed that they like the "Snake Oil" salesmen of long ago make a very nice living from their propaganda!

Where are the farmers going to get enough "organic manure" to cover their fields with, to produce a proper crop, to feed us peasants with?

These people would have us back in the 18th century if they had their way,whilst "THEY" still kept their standard of living!

There is an old saying "Beware of a Greek bearing gifts"

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    I think its fine to be organic or inorganic, its your own choice, the problem comes when the organic people become high and mighty and try to impess their ideas on the rest of us.

We now have very few insectacides that are available, so we have to go back to using the old methods.
    We recently had a thread where we discussed the pros and cons of making your own nicotene spray as they did years ago.

I dont think it went down very well with some of us. But I guess its organic.
    :D

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    And deadly, to humans as well as greenfly. [​IMG] And I kept out of the debate. [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Happilly im not organic, always thought it a conn.

My only concession is that i use soft soap for greenfly on vegtables, everything else gets permethrin, systhane, sulphur or glyphosate.

Most chemicals are reasnably harmless anyway, although I normally wear gloves spraying Ive come into skin contact with chemical concentrates and solutions before and although I washed them straight off never had an alergic reaction.

oh and due to the pestcontrol work I also do, i take a yearly blood test, clean bill of health to date despite using large quantity of carcinogens on a very regular basis during the summer wasp nest season (bendiocarb and Permethrin).

12. vegmandan

vegmandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.

Don't get me wrong I'm no Eco-warrior.

I do use Derris only because it seems to be effective and Blood,Fish and bone 'cos it's good stuff.

I have no qualms about using Round up as basically there's no alternative for me.

It's just the fact that the Organic product producers give the impression that their stuff is "Harmless" when some of it is just as "Harmless" as the old fashioned stuff,so why are these products classed as the products of Satan ?

I give up :D :D :D

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    A lot of products these days are safer than some of the stuf that was spread around liberaly in the past, DDT was a prime example the best thing since sliced bread worked well controlling mosquitoes and reducing malaria until it got in the food chain,while your on about copper vegman it is also still used to transport water through your house along with lead, it's picked up as the water passes through it in minute doses and is detremental to your health but is usually ignored.

14. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    At our garden club meeting on Friday night,the speaker from Pershore Agri College, said that "Derris" was about to be withdrawn from sale. The Lady who looks after the sundries ,said that the last time they had ordered " Derris" products they had not been delivered, which explained the non deliverly!

So the advice was "stock up", but she had none for sale, so try elsewhere.

15. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    why does organic cost more . when less is spent on the crop
    :confused:

i see true orgainic as planting correctly,
    absulutly no chemicals

for eg: lets say carrot fly
    why not plant carrots inbetween your onions and garlick. or some other plant that puts the ******s off

i know most are gonna think im totaly mad. :eek: but im going to try and plant things out so that they look after each other. place the plants in there best pos place for max growth and pos put in some scrafical plants to detract the bugs.
    im growing for food not for show
    :thumb: