ornimental cherry tree problems

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by susan austin, Apr 22, 2012.

1. susan austin

susan austin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    My ornimental cherry had fantastic blossom I have now noticed there are blobs of gummy stuff coming from some of the branches. This did happen briefly last year but a good watering and feed seemed to cure it. It can't be lack of water this year!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi

Sorry to say but youre tree has bacterial canker, how old is the tree , stress and old age is the normal suspect , I have a kanzan cherry tree which showed sighns 2nd year I had it , and since I feed in the spring and good watering everyweek has realy helped throuout the summer if it never rained and in Wale's that happens nearly every week !

Spruce

3. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    it's a real shame with Ornamental Cherries that they are just so susceptible to canker:frown:

4. susan austin

Ratings:
    +0

5. susan austin

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Spruce. The tree is about 3 or 4 years old. Is there anything I can do to make it better?

6. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi Susan

It says in all the books to cut out the canker but anything like me you woudnt have much tree left, the good news its a young tree so it will have vigour sounds as if you soil is poor and dry's out quickly I would personaly use a good quality rose fertiliser and lightly fork around the tree sprinkle on all around at least 4 feet circle , give it a light watering then I would mulch all around to help it maitain water and water again and water in the summer once a week and good couple of gallons , has the tree competion from other shrubs or trees that may be already established ?? do you know what the variety is ??

Apple trees get it as well as many others , and look at conker trees one by my works and it oozes out in late spring

Remember just like us stress can happen over a long time without us noticing until the symptoms show , so just because its rained a lot lately wont make much diffrence but Cherry trees are known to get this , they used to be all the rage in the 70's with local Councills but not anymore beacause of this

Spruce

7. susan austin

Ratings:
    +0

8. susan austin

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for so much helpful information. I will certainly follow your advice, thought I should remove the gum stuff too. The tree is a Cheal's Weeping Cherry Kiku-shidare Zakura. I have some protective fungicide (Bayer) but it says to use it in the summer, not now. The tree doesn't have much competition, only one small shrub close to it.

Thank you so much, I also understand gallons rather than litres!!

9. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668