Osteospermum - Cape daisy

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Veggie Patch, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Veggie Patch

Veggie Patch Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

I have purchased some Osteospermum plants from J.Parkers and was wondering if its possible to take cuttings from these plants or do they seed? If this is possible could you give me some advice on how to do this and when please.
    Thank You.

2. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If they are the perennial type then yes you can take cuttings. A friend gave me some which she just broke from the plant with a little root and they are now happily growing in my garden. I got them in September but I couldn't say if this is the right time or not. Somebody else will know though.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Yes veggie, you can take cuttings, but unless the plants you purchased are pretty big you may need to wait a bit.

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Yes no problem in taking cuttings - but as Pete says - wait till its a bit bigger. Mine have lasted several years in pots, but I think I might have finally killed them, so I bought two more today.

I suspect that you can take cuttings anytime that it is growing strongly. Septemberish seems to be a traditional time, because you can then keep the smaller cuttings overwinter and not worry about the larger plants. They are not fully hardy - so will need a bit of help over the winter.

5. Veggie Patch

Veggie Patch Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, Thank you all for your helpful advice.

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Good luck to you, VP, they are a weed here ... albeit a very nice, pretty, colourful one that blooms most of the year. [​IMG]

Enjoy them, they are worth it, but they will only bloom for you in full sunshine and close in overcast weather ... even with me. :(

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    As they guys and girls have said the Cape Daisy is really easy to take cuttings from I took some round September time and they are sitting in my cold frame as happy as new born lambs.

It's a great idea to take the cutting from an older plant as has they grow they get a little straggy so it's a good way to tidy the old plant up as well as getting some new plants into the bargain!Hel.xxx.