Osteospermum

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Outlander, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
    +166
    untitled.png

Afternoon all.

Last year I planted three Osteospermums (purple coloured) and one yellow. they looked great all throughout the summer and I'm hoping they will return this summer. they were all of the 'hardy' type.

I pruned them down to three inches at the beginning of the month. So far there are no new shoots appearing although there seem to be lots of small plants growing around them. I'm not sue if these are weeds or the new plants.

Do they grow from the main plant or do they spread over the soil? If they grow from the main plant when should I expect to see new shoots?

Thanks in advance and a Happy Easter to you all.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Hello Outlander :)

You said they were all "hardy".....the yellow is likely to be the most tender but we have had a pretty cold wet winter!! Some osteospermums are hardier than others

In future, resist the temptation to prune or cut them back too soon.....mid April is about right....or the cold/wet could more easily kill them.

They grow from the main plant.....the spreading types usually layer themselves and you can sever these, pot up and keep in gh. Cuttings in summer always a sensible thing.

The leaves have an aromatic scent to them and are easily distinguishable from weeds.

When should you see new shoots? Usually about now. I grow them here....mild west Cornwall....and they shoot early, often continue to grow over winter, but we too were hit with the two beasts from the east so growth has been held back.
    Mid April should see them growing if we have no further freezing weather blasts.

Patience though Outlander......we are all checking all sorts of plants for signs of new growth; its what we do:)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
      +166
      Thanks @Verdun

If there's one thing I lack it's patience in the garden. :snorky:

I think I might collect up some of the plants growing around and pot them just in case they are the spreading type.

• luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
      Ratings:
      +6,899
      So do I :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
      +166
      Odd isn't it. I have patience in everything else I do but with gardening, I want it all instantly.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,360
      I've got hardy Osteospermum jucundum,I think, and I find it's one of those plants that likes to wander, rooting as it goes.
      Cutting back just seems to inhibit flowering, but after a few years you do need to do something as it is probably 4ft away from where you planted it.:biggrin:
      I'd be interested to see a yellow hardy one.:smile:

Should add, mine is evergreen, so if yours are appearing dead, they might be the tender summer bedding plant types.

• Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
        +166
        Thanks @pete

Mine died back months ago so maybe they are not as hardy as I thought. I'm going to see if I can find the labels tomorrow (I think I kept them somewhere) and hopefully post a couple of pics.

• Like Like x 1
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,486
          Osteospermum is not invasive but clumps will enlarge by self layering and these can be severed to make more plants. They do not spread underground, for example. I have large clumps here but they are a few years old. Osteospermums grow almost wild down here but none of them can be regarded as truly hardy in most places. Only once over many years can I remember losing any over winter.
          Always wise to take cuttings.
          The hardiest variety I think is Cannington Roy, an attractive pink and one I recommend followed by Tresco Purple. Both constantly coveted by visitors from "up country" :)

• Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
            +166
            Been to the garden centre today and theirs are all in bloom but I'm guessing they have been forced in a greenhouse. Unfortunately I could not find my labels (no surprise there). :rolleyespink:

• Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
            +166
            Hi all

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back on this subject but found myself quite busy since Easter. Anyway, I hope you all had a good one.

I have posted two pics of the new growth nearby to what were the Osteospermums.

DSC01271.JPG

DSC01272.JPG

You can see in pic two, the old woody plant (just to to the left) which does have some shoots in the middle of it but they are not strong. I have also had a sniff of the leaves and they are not fragrant, they just smell like leaves.

So, do you think this new growth is the new plants and if so should I leave them or pot them up? Sorry but despite all your efforts I am still confused (which is not unusual for me):snorky:

Btw, the Mrs Outlander has remembered that the yellow one was not hardy after all.

Many thanks.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,360
            Sorry, but I think the pictures are a bit too small to say for sure one way or another.

• Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,486
            Sorry Outlander, they dont look like osteos to me. The leaves do have a sort of fragrance, an aroma more like, and are stiff almost leathery.
            The "yellow" one is borderline hardy I guess...if its Voltage Yellow.
            Here I have cut most of them hard back and shoots are appearing. If you see fresh shoots then cut back stems to those points:)
            Leave them for now and look for new shoots on the main plant. No point in potting them up now.

• Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
            +166
            hi @pete I think if you click on the thumbnails they should enlarge.

thank you

• Outlander

Outlander Gardener

Ratings:
            +166
            hi @Verdun. Yes I will leave them then for now and see what happens. I will probably end up buying new plants if no new shoots appear. Not sure what happened to them (apart from the snow)

Cheers!

• Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,486
            Well, if you buy replacement plants remember to take cuttings. They are easy. Or pin down a couple of low stems during the summer; you can enjoy them then and just sever the rooted plants in September and pot up :)