Osteospermum

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by adamsh, Sep 19, 2013.

1. adamsh

adamsh Gardener

Ratings:
    +121
    Hey all,

I planted 2 Cape daisys earlier this year, the label says annual but I have read this is not entirely true.

One of the plants is a nice medium size, it is sitting at the back of the rockery with little plants infront, the other has turned into a monster (twice as big as the other one) and has swallowed up all the little plants around it.

How should I prune this monster so the little plants it swallowed can get some sun? will it die over winter (wont really be that concerned if they do die as I wouldn't mind planting something different).

Cheers

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    With shears or secateurs! If you want to keep it in situ for the time being then chop out a few sections to thin out the canopy over the other plants. If the other plants are suffering greatly then just chop it to the ground and see if it returns next year.

3. Doug Harding

Doug Harding South coast mr nice guy

Garden centre manager/horticulturalist...
    Ratings:
    +121
    In te garden centre business the osteo is sold with the annual bedding plants ...... It is a perennial but sold as an annual for instant colour

4. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    We planted these in the walled garden restoration project this season Glamis Castle.

Its a microclimate behind the wall and I have never seen cape daises grow so big and spread so much in a garden as they have done in the walled garden.

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Annual, perennial - rarely used in the context of their technical definition.

Osteospurmum is usually sold as an annual because, just like many 'annuals' that are technically perennials, it is so soft it will struggle through a typical British winter. When the garden centres tell you it is an annual, they mean it is usually treat as an annual in the UK climate.

That said, I had one survive over a fairly harsh winter one year, but it was right in front of my south east facing front wall, sheltered by shrubs all around. It was the only survivor out of half a dozen that I'd bought and planted in the same area, and its second winter got it. Also, I don't know if it was cold damage, but although it survived one winter, it just didn't perform well at all after that.

6. adamsh

adamsh Gardener

Ratings:
    +121
    Cheers all, I'll have a hack at it tomorrow, took a photo today.

I also circled its companion which I purchased and planted at the same time, I think I counted 3 plants hidden under it now. oste.jpg

Attached Files: