Our first garden ~ need some ideas and inspirations please - pics added

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hampshirenovice, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Hampshirenovice

Hampshirenovice Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas what may do well in our garden? It is North East facing in Hampshire and despite the trees does get a reasonable amount of sun.

I've added a pic below, since this picture was taken we've knocked down the walls between the lawn and patio and would like to plant some evergreens/shrubs hedge type things.

We've also pruned back the conifer and planted a small plum tree on the left hand side about 2m away from the low wall and fence.

Other than the removal of the kids toys and trampoline the garden is as is.

My problem is my husband works away during the week so doesn't have the time and I have severe rheumatoid arthritis so can't really do too much digging and can't get down on my knees, hubby could dig a border for me at the weekends but it needs to be low maintenance so veggie patches are out.

The soil is actually pretty good it is slightly clay but not too thick. The garden does have a tendancy to get quite wet so would need plants that cope when it rains heavily.

The eucalyptus has a TPO so we can't do anything with it (not that we want to it's lovely :))

I'd like some colour/greens year round and don't really want a garden full of twigs in the winter.

I look forward to learning from you all.

View from house
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View from bottom of garden
    [​IMG]

2. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    a blank canvas beautiful...so hard to give advice on starting out it has to be a personal thing. If i was designing for that space, well the beautiful Eucalyptus is always going to be the dominant featue, so make the most of it. i would build a big circular or semi circular bench around the trunk, and then use this circle as a point to work out from, this would lead to a garden with lots of complimentary curves (ie in the shape of paths and beds)

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +47,527
    Hello & welcome,

Giving design advice is very difficult because it depends on what you like. All I can say is to visit a few gardens over the coming months before making any major decisions, in particular I'd recommend the model gardens at the RHS Wisley (which isn't that far from Hampshire) - there are about a dozen small gardens each in a different style. I love looking at them to get ideas. Also if you visit gardens at different times of the year note which plants are in flower and that you like, that way you can get year round colour.

4. Hampshirenovice

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions so far,

Going to Blackmoor nurseries today to get a blueberry bush for a pot we were given for a wedding present so first small start.

It doesn't look like our predecessors planted any bulbs as nothing seems to be coming through for spring so that can be a job at the end of the year.

Can you attach a bench to a tree with a preservation order attached? would it damage it?

5. rustyp

rustyp Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    you wouldnt need to attach it to the tree, think of a sort of hexagonal type of free standing bench, enclosing the trunk... dont raise the soil level tho, it might attract rot?

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Dogwood (Cornus) would give you colourful winter 'twigs' as well as summer and autumn colour and they'd be just fine in the conditions you describe.

7. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    i would suggest you go to the library and get out as many BIG books of gardens that you can and then just browse! lovely way to spend an evening and finding out what you dont like is just as important as finding what you do like

Loopy

8. Hampshirenovice

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, only problem is the 2 closest librairies to me are closed for refurbishment, why they do them at the same time I will never know!

Anyway I have inherited a dark blue ceanothus and a couple of pinks so am sorting out some help to dig a border down the left hand side for them.

I thinkthe garden will be a long work in progress! I want to try my hand at growing at least some veg so am going to try a few easy things in pots this year. I think herbs, lettuces, toms should be OK and easy to manage.

9. Luido

Luido Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow this is exciting. I have a boring garden that needs some TLC too. Look forward to seeing how you get on!