Out of Copyright Books anyone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Aesculus, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I've recently gone and treated myself to one of those new fangled E-book reader's (a Kobo Touch) although I have had a Kindle previously, but It was sold due to cash flow problems (problem being I had no cash...:WINK1:)

I've been working my way though some of the late 19th and early 20th century horticultural/gardening books which are out of copyright from Project Gutenberg and so far I've been really quite pleased with how much I've learned form them! most of the books have been written just at the peak of when we'd finally worked out how plants grew and work so there still very much correct (although obviously names are well out of date! but you still know what their on about!)

anyone else been doing the same? I'd post links but copyright law in the UK is so over the top confusing that some of the out of copyright books in the US aren't out of copyright here so title + author only please, no links! (unless your absolutely sure there out of copyright!)

so far I've read:

• The Book of Pears and Plums by Edward Bartrum
    • Cactus Culture for Amateurs / Being Descriptions of the Various Cactuses Grown in This Country, / With Full and Practical Instructions for Their Successful Cultivation by W. Watson
    • The plant-lore & garden-craft of Shakespeare by Henry Nicholson Ellacombe
    • The Apple-Tree - the Open Country Books-No. 1 by L. H. (liberty Hyde) Bailey
    • Apple Growing (Dodo Press) by M. C. Burritt
    • Wild Apples by Henry David Thoreau
    and I've also got a ton of literary classics to get around to as well:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Nice one me old Chestnut.

• Like Like x 1