Outdoor Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Freddy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,518
    Hi chums.

This year, my outdoor toms are doing ok (they normally get taken by blight), but something I've noticed is that like for like, there aren't as many fruits as compared to those grown in my greenhouse. Also, as some of them have ripened, the flavour doesn't seem as good, in fact, nowhere near as good. Is this to be expected? Or, am I doing something wrong?

Cheers...Freddy.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Don`t know Freddy, I`m growing Shirley in a clients greenhouse and they have virtually no flavour and the skin is tough. Wont grow them next year.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,438
    I'm very surprised that your outdoor toms don't taste as nice Freddy. Are these the very first fruit to ripen? I think the first few fruit on each plant are not as nice as the later ones, I think it's becuase they first ones have hung around for ages on the plant ripening.

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +49,438
    It must be the funny weather Dai. I'm growing Shirely for the first time and they are firm and tasty, not thick skinned either. However my Golden Sunrise have been a real let down, watery and tasteless, yet in other years they have been lovely. :scratch:

5. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,518
    Hi folks.

I'm growing Shirley in the greenhouse too, and mine are exactly the same!

I'm growing Sungold both indoors and outdoors, and it's to these I'm referring. Yes, they are the first to ripen, so there could well be something in what you say. Do you find that there are less fruits when grown outdoors?

Cheers...Freddy.

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    The flavour of our toms ( Sparta and Vanessa) in the tunnel and greenhouse is fine but this year they've been about a month behind in ripening. Outdoor toms are still completely green though there's a good crop (Gardener's Delight).

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +49,438
    No, they are about the same.

8. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +866
    Funny, but I've got Gardener's Delight and, for the first time in ages, Shirley and I'm finding them both excellent. Last year I grew Moneymaker and Gardener's Delight and they were both awful, thick, tough skins and no flavour at all, (in fact supermarket toms were actually better :what:). The Gardener's Delight are much better this year too.

I generally find that outdoor plants do produce slightly less fruit, but I put this down to the orientation of my garden and the wind which eddies around in annoying little pockets. I think also, the weather plays a large part - last year it was incredibly hot but for very short spells, then cool again; this year, apart from that hot spell in the Spring, the temperature in my garden hasn't fluctuated quite so dramatically so there's been a much steadier ripening, allowing the natural sugars in the fruit to develop slowly.

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,118
    Got to admit my toms this year are the worst I have ever grown:(

The plants are stunted and apart from a couple of "sweet million" plants that are doing fairly well, the "roma" and "marmande" are not too good.

I think I've overdone my non watering approach, its been a bit strange here regarding rain, just enough to keep the surface damp and make it appear ok.
    But underneath it is very dry.:o

10. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Funny year for tomatoes, my lates are ripenening before my earlies! I'm getting a good crop from my "Big Boy" but not as big as I hoped, averaging only 6oz each, the san marzano and cuor di bue are trying to ripen and my Golden Sunrise are being fed to the dogs cos the skins are so tough!

We need a sustained period of warm sunshine, my gardeners delight are laden with unripe fruit but all the plants are looking healthy.

11. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Got Gardeners Delight in the greenhouse this year as back up. Had them outside last year and they were wiped out by blight.